Sunday Cinema returns to Picture House Regional Film Center in January

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Picture House Regional Film Center.

December 28, 2018 – Pelham, NY – The Picture House Regional Film Center (TPH) in Pelham, NY welcomes the New Year with the return of one if its most popular film programs, Sunday Cinema. Each Sunday in January TPH will show an important and timely, yet less celebrated film, on the big screen in the Main Hall. The 2019 Sunday Cinema series kicks-off with a 50th anniversary screening of the cinéma vérité film, Inquiring Nuns on Sunday, January 6th and Sunday, January 20th. On Sunday, January 13th and Sunday January 27th, Sunday Cinema will feature the award-winning documentary Science Fair. Sunday Cinema is scheduled to run each month through June with each film films playing at 8:00 p.m. in the Main Hall at the historic theater.

“I love programming Sunday Cinema because it provides the opportunity to bring the less-recognizable, yet still high-quality films I usually seek out for our Screening Room to the big screen in the Main Hall,” said Clayton Bushong, Director of Programming at The Picture House. “There are so many exceptional and engaging independent, documentary, classic, and foreign films that often don’t get the popular recognition they deserve – with Sunday Cinema we can spotlight and share them with a wider audience.”

JANUARY 2019 SUNDAY CINEMA at TPH

50TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING OF INQUIRING NUNS

January 6th and 20th at 8:00 p.m. 

One of the earliest examples of Kartemquin co-founders Gordon Quinn and Gerald Temaner’s exploration into the world of cinéma vérité, Inquiring Nuns captures the attitudes, fears, and dreams of everyday Chicagoans, giving audiences and researchers insight into the political and social climate of 1960’s Chicago. The film’s music is composed by Philip Glass in his first credited film score.

SCIENCE FAIR

January 13th and 27th at 8:00 p.m.

Hailed by critics as “immensely likeable,” “brilliant and quirky”, and an “ode to the teenage science geeks on whom our future depends,” and winner of the audience award at Sundance and SXSW, National Geographic Documentary Films’ Science Fair follows nine high school students from around the globe as they navigate rivalries, setbacks and, of course, hormones on their journey to compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair. As 1,700 of the smartest, quirkiest teens from 78 different countries face off, only one will be named Best in Fair. The film, directed by the duPont Award-winning and Emmy-nominated documentary filmmaking team of Cristina Costantini and Darren Foster, offers a front seat to the victories, defeats and motivations of an incredible group of young men and women who are on a path to change their lives, and the world, through science.

Tickets to the Sunday Cinema screenings are $12/general admission, $10/students, seniors, and members and are available at www.thepicturehouse.org or at the box office, 175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham, NY 10803.

About The Picture House Regional Film Center

Since 1921, The Picture House Regional Film Center (TPH) has served as a cultural center and community hub and is the oldest, continuously running movie theater in Westchester County. Thanks to an extensive renovation and the addition of state of the art technology, TPH is also a thriving regional film center providing dynamic film and education programs to a diverse and multi-generational audience in Westchester County and beyond. In the 300-seat Main Hall and the luxurious 14-seat Screening Room, audiences see the best in new, independent, and classic cinema. TPH education programs provide students of all ages with the opportunity to learn about the art, science, and business of film. A community-based, mission-driven, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, The Picture House is located at 175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham, New York, 10803. Contact us at www.thepicturehouse.org, [email protected], or (914) 738-3161.