Girls track and field wins league championships for second year in a row; boys finish third

In a resounding team effort, Pelham’s girls track and field won the league 2-C championship title in Section 1 for the second year in a row on Sunday. At the league championship meet at the Fort Washington Avenue Armory, the girls team finished one point above league rival Rye, winning by a score of 94 to 93. The boys team finished third overall.

Pelham competed against fellow Section 1 schools Rye, Harrison, Byram Hills, and Eastchester.  After experiencing a coaching change mid-season, the boys and girls teams are collectively coached by Brian Leighton, Nicki Nesi, and Michael Green.

The girls team’s victory was spearheaded by individual efforts in multiple events.

In sprinting, the team was led by a first place finish for senior captain Nora Tahbaz in the 55 m dash, with other top-6 finishes from seniors Emma Lauria and Stephanie Porfirio. In middle and long distance, senior captains Grace Miske and Claudia Dodge, and junior Morgan Sample all had stand-out performances.

The girls relay teams had strong performances, with the 4×200 relay finishing first and the 4×400 and 4×800 relays both finishing in second.

All three high jumpers from the girls team finished top-6, with sophomore Zoe Winburn and senior captain Ella Stern placing first and second, respectively. Junior Charlotte Howard had a strong performance as well, finishing top-4 in long and triple jump.

Senior throwing captain Peyton Rees dominated her events, finishing second in both shot put and weight throw, breaking her own weight throw school record.

The boys team also featured multiple stand-out performances, including senior captain Henry Driesen, who finished third in both the 1600 m and 1000 m races, and freshman Thomas Shelton, who finished first and second in shot put and weight throw, respectively. With his throw today, Shelton is now the third ranked freshman shot-putter overall in New York State, and is now the fifth ranked freshman nationwide.

Those who qualified in their individual events will compete at the county championship meet on Jan. 27.

Pelham’s full results are available here.