PMHS freshman Luke Green takes fifth at MLB National Junior Home Run Derby

On June 6th, rising PMHS freshman Luke Green was one of twenty participants in the MLB National Junior Home Run Derby.  The competition was held at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio, home of the Cleveland Indians. Progressive Field was also the site of the MLB All-Star Game and other festivities surrounding the game.

Green began his journey by winning the preliminary derby competition in Pelham itself, held at Glover Field. From there, he advanced to a competition in Pound Ridge and moved onto the regional round held in Cranston, Rhode Island. Green finally advanced to the national competition after winning in Cranston.

At the competition itself, he competed against the victors of other regional rounds and placed fifth overall.

“The Junior Home Run Derby was an all-out amazing experience,” said Green. “Although I did not get the outcome I was hoping for, I still had an amazing time. I got to go to the MLB Home Run Derby, MLB Futures Game, celebrity softball game and fan fest. I met a lot of great people and even a few major leaguers.”

As Green enters his freshman year, he hopes to continue playing baseball for the school team. In addition to playing baseball, Green is a member of the varsity hockey team and JV football team.