New bids for Hutchinson School come in lower; school board plans to move forward

Back to Article
Back to Article

New bids for Hutchinson School come in lower; school board plans to move forward

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The Pelham Board of Education Wednesday heard updates on many of the school district’s construction projects, including that the second group of bids for the construction of the new Hutchinson School were an improvement over the first set.

Assistant Superintendent for Business James Hricay said the new bids were about $8.2 million, or 22%, lower than the original ones, which came in far over budget. The board is planning to move forward with the work at Hutchinson as well as with projects at Pelham Middle School and Pelham Memorial High School. The board will seek bids for work at Prospect Hill School in two to three weeks and hopes to have the bids back by March.

The board also moved ahead with a plan to commemorate the late Anthony Senerchia Jr. by passing a resolution and stating plans to place a plaque at Glover Field during a ceremony, voting 7-0 on the decision. Read the full story here.

In her report, Superintendent Cheryl Champ provided an update on the search for new principals for the high school and Siwanoy School. There are 57 applicants for the high school position and 80 applicants for the Siwanoy post so far, she said.

The PMHS Mandarin class trip to China has been cancelled due to the recent outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan. According to Champ, “other than the cost of the visa, no families lost any money” as a result of the cancellation.

Director of Technology John Sebalos presented on the district’s use of technology in learning, the evolution of the integration of technology in the curriculum, and the technology department’s future plans for the Pelham schools.

The board’s next meeting is Feb. 12 at 8:15 pm.