Building Bridges, program that teaches about disabilities, coming to all elementary schools after Colonial pilot

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by Lisa Horten.

February 13, 2020 – In the coming months, Pelham elementary schools will welcome Building Bridges: Understanding People with Different Abilities” to encourage empathy and understanding amongst our students. Children in all grades will get to experience first-hand what it feels like to live with disabilities through engaging, interactive classroom activities. Classroom workshops will be followed up with a series of speakers unique to each grade and their specific topic.

With the support of a grant from the Pelham Education Foundation, Colonial piloted the program last March, to great success. “Building Bridges is designed to demystify and celebrate disability,” program director Ashley Matts said. “I’m honored to bring this program back to Colonial Elementary School and introduce it to the larger Pelham School District.”

Maureen Alves, who is bringing the program to Siwanoy this year noted: “When I read about what Ashley did at Colonial last year, I knew I wanted to get involved. My hope is that by teaching our kids about disabilities and giving them an opportunity to hear the experiences of people living with disabilities firsthand, it will make them more understanding, empathetic, and inclusive.”

Students from K-5 will learn about vision impairment, hearing impairment, autism, physical and motor impairments, and learning differences.

The Prospect Hill team is being led by Jaime Webb, Jennie Utsinger, and Tara DeCandido. “We felt that disability awareness in schools was so very important, not only to foster inclusivity and understanding, but also for all the little lessons too,” Webb said. “These can include that being different is an opportunity, accidents can and will happen, a good attitude will take you far, and patience can get you through almost anything.”

And Maura Curtin, leading the program at Hutchinson school, added, “We’re thrilled to bring this important curriculum to our school to continue ‘Building Bridges’ amongst our students in a meaningful way to embrace differences and increase compassion and acceptance.”

Students from all four schools will participate in Building Bridges during the months of March or April.