Klein, Biaggi agree in broad strokes on gun control at student forum in Pelham, differ on specific tactics

Courtesy Westchester Student Coalition Against Gun Violence

The candidates pose with WSCAGV student organizers.

After the frequent murderous attacks in schools using guns, students inspired by the work of the activists in Parkland, Florida, have came out of the shadows to try to make a change in the effort to pass gun control legislation. Students of Westchester are no exception. The Westchester Student Coalition Against Gun Violence held a public forum last night with incumbent State Sen. Jeff Klein and challenger Alessandra Biaggi in advance of their September Democratic primary.

“We were founded on poor circumstances, of course, but I think our main goal in holding events such as these is to hold our leaders accountable and get the answers we want from them on this issue,” said one member of the student coalition at the event held at the Pelham Art Center.

The forum began with a moment of silence for the individuals who were shot and killed in Jacksonville, Florida, just days before. Following this, the candidates each had a chance to share their views on the issue and what they hope to change in terms of legislation, if given the chance.

“We can’t leave our houses or go to the supermarket without the fear of someone being there and shooting someone,” said Biaggi. “The State Senate is poised as one of the key entities to protect us. We have to pass the Extremes Protection Order and ensure every loophole is closed.” 

Klein pointed to the action he took after the tragedy at Sandy Hook. “Right after that, I sat down with (Gov. Andrew) Cuomo and tried to figure out the most comprehensive gun legislation in the nation. We passed it the first day of the legislative session. We wanted to protect New Yorkers and be a model with the Safe Act. We have to build on the Safe Act and have the toughest gun laws in the nation.”

The Safe Act was signed into law by Cuomo in 2013. The act made several modifications such as expanding the classification of assault weapons and restricting access to them and requiring a renewal of pistol permits every five years.

When asked what he believes needs to be done to bring New York up to speed on gun legislation, Klein said he would work to pass Nicholas’s Law. Nicholas’s Law, named after a shooting victim, would require the safe storage of rifles, shotguns and firearms and repeal certain provisions of the penal law.

Biaggi said there are too many loopholes in the Safe Act and that she would like to have more significant gun legislation in the Village of Pelham, including the prohibition of open-carry, which is currently allowed.

The candidates were asked how they would protect populations that face a greater chance of being killed by a firearm, specifically African Americans, who are ten times more likely to be murdered with a gun.

“(We) have to engage young people and prevent violence before it happens,” said Klein. “It’s more about education. It’s actually preventing violence before it happens.”

“We have got to focus on rehabilitation over punishment,” Biaggi said. “Stopping the school-to-prison pipeline.”

At the national level, some have suggested arming teachers to avoid school shootings. Klein and Biaggi agreed that was a bad idea, but differed on the specifics of what to do in schools.

“I don’t support teachers being armed in the classroom,” said Klein. “We need tough gun laws. We need to figure out ways to make our students safe. Let’s allow public schools to hire retired police officers as security guards to protect our young people.”

Biaggi countered she was opposed to retired police officers working as armed security guards in the schools. “There is absolutely no place for guns in our schools under no circumstances.”

“There’s no reason teachers should get money to have a gun in the classroom especially when they don’t have enough money to fund their classrooms,” said Biaggi. “Making sure we have a Democratic majority is critical to ensure our money is used for our democratic values.”

As this was a student run event, one topic was the necessity of youth involvement and how each candidate will engage young people.

“Youth engagement is the most important thing,” said Biaggi, noting that her youngest intern is 15 years old and that her team is heavily composed of young adults engaged in political issues. “We have to make it a habit of our democracy that voting happens at a very young age. I attempt to make it so every person on our team has a seat at the table.” 

“Being able to engage with your own peer group is the most important thing you can do to protect future violence,” said Klein.

“I want to fight in November for a Democratic majority with Andrea Stewart-Cousins,” said Klein in his closing statement. Stewart-Cousins is Democratic Conference Leader of the State Senate and an endorsee of Klein.

Biaggi said, “I’m sitting next to someone who has undermined the democratic ability. Everything we care about is on the line.”