Traffic safety reminders from school superintendent and village police chiefs

Picture from www.pelhamschools.org

Editor’s note: This letter was provided by the Pelham School District.

Dear Parents and Community Members,

As educators, police departments, parents, and citizens, we all share a common responsibility for ensuring the safety of the children of Pelham. It is with that in mind, that I wanted to offer a mid-year reminder about drop-off procedures around the middle school and high school and well as some additional reminders that I believe can go a long way to help keep our students safe.

PMHS Drop-off

• Cars should pull into the painted “Drop Off Zone” on the north side of Colonial Avenue in front of the high school. Please do not use the south side of Colonial, or Corlies avenues near the faculty parking lot as drop-off locations. This will help with traffic flow around the school and prevent students from having to cross the busy Colonial Avenue.
  • The circle in front of the high school may be used as a drop-off, but keep in mind that the circle is ONE WAY from Corlies to Colonial.
  • Please do not use the circle in front of the high school main entrance as a shortcut from Corlies to Colonial avenue.
  • Students who do cross the street must only do so in painted crosswalks. Please obey the crossing guards and any pedestrian signals, traffic lights, etc.
  • When the crossing guard is not present, at the intersection of Corlies and Colonial avenues, students should push the button near the pedestrian sign to trigger the warning lights.
  • Driving speed in a school zone is 15 miles per hour during school days from 7 am – 6 pm.
PMS Drop-off
  • Students crossing Colonial Avenue must use the crosswalk at Corlies Avenue. Please obey the crossing guard.
  • Please do not cross Colonial Avenue at Stellar Avenue where there is no crosswalk.
  • Parents should drop off their children on Franklin Place directly in front of the middle school on the south side closest to the entrance. Please proceed down Nyac Avenue and turn right onto Franklin Place.
  • Parents may also drop children off in the drop-off zone on Wolfs Lane on the east side of the street. Cars should pull over between the “drop-off” signs. Please do not drop children off on the west side of Wolfs Lane as they then must cross two lanes of traffic on one of the busiest streets in town.
For Everyone
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Students should seek to make eye contact with drivers and crossing guards when crossing streets and intersections. Never assume that you are seen.
  • Crossing guards are present at many intersections to assist with safety. Please listen to and obey their instructions.
  • Please do not use cell phones or other electronic devices while you are driving or walking. Even a moment when your eyes are not on the road or on an oncoming car can make a big difference.
  • Please drive slowly and mind all stop signs/traffic lights. Leave a few minutes early, when possible.
  • Anyone under 14 years of age must wear a helmet when bicycling by state law. We STRONGLY recommend that all students who bike to school wear a helmet regardless of age.
  • Each elementary school also has specific traffic procedures and parking restrictions that are enforced by police. We encourage you to review each school’s procedures on the school websites.

Elementary Schools

Colonial

Hutchinson

Prospect Hill

Siwanoy

Thank you for partnering with us to ensure our students are safe.

Sincerely,

Cheryl H. Champ, Ed. D.

Superintendent of Schools

Jeffrey Carpenter
Chief of Police, Pelham Manor

Jason Pallett
Chief of Police, Pelham Village