Foto Feature: PMHS Science Research Program concludes a successful year with its annual symposium

On May 29, the PMHS Science Research Program hosted its annual symposium in the middle school gymnasium. Students from each grade showcased this year’s work to parents and faculty members. The night was concluded with presentations and speeches from each member of the graduating class.

“The symposium was my first experience with the science research program back in eighth grade, and I’ve been looking forward to presenting at it as a senior ever since,” said senior Caitlin Wong. “The symposium is the culmination of our research careers. I never imagined that it would be me or my grade speaking at the podium and watching our senior slideshow. Science research has not only shaped my high school experience, but it is also something I will take with me throughout life.”

This past year was a successful one for the program.

Wong was selected to be a Regeneron Student Talent Search Semifinalist in January and qualified to present her PowerPoint presentation at the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium state competition in March. Senior Francesca Di Cristofano won Best In Fair at the New York State Science and Engineering Fair, qualifying her to compete at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in May.

Sophomore Jamie Burke and juniors Peter Wei, Lukas Glist, Andy Radvany, Luke Diffley, Helen Meyerson, Emily Nakayama, Quin Monaghan Morris, Anna Shampanier Bowen, Vedika Basavatia, Isabelle Anderson, Olivia Min, Piers Upton, Grace Anderson, Luke Tarazi, Bernadette Russo, Morgan McLean, Grace Liberatore, Catherine Taubner, Sophie Xu and Matyas Spunberg qualified to compete as finalists at the Genius Olympiad International Science Fair June 17-22.

The sophomore class at Westlake Science Fair

The sophomore class used the symposium as a practice night for their first competition, Westlake Science Fair. The students had a successful run at the fair this Saturday, with 12 out of 25 projects winning at least one award. Noah Breskin and Jamie Burke placed first in the Behavioral Sciences category, Vikram Jallepalli placed first in the Cell and Molecular Biology category, and Nya Haseley placed first in the Medicine and Health category.