Calling hours Wednesday and funeral on Thursday for Pelham Middle School teacher Thomas Roksvold Jr., who died Friday

Editor’s note: This obituary was provided by the Pelham Funeral Home.

Thomas Edward Roksvold Jr. of Pelham, New York, passed away suddenly on Friday, August 2, 2019. Tom was born in 1973 to Thomas and Mary Anne Roksvold at New Rochelle Hospital. Tom was their first born and older brother of Kristian. He was raised in Pelham, where he attended Colonial Elementary School before graduating from Pelham Memorial High School. Tom attended SUNY Potsdam, which he often referred to as “two hours past the middle of nowhere,” where he earned a BA degree in physics with a minor in education. While earning his master’s degree from NYIT, Tom began his lifelong teaching career in earth science at Pelham Middle School. Throughout Tom’s 23 year career, he not only impacted the lives of students and friends but was inspirational to countless others through his roles as tutor, mentor and coach.

In 1999, Tom met the love of his life and best friend, Teresa “nee Palumbo,” through a lifelong family friend Mark Finegan. The couple was married the following year at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church and later blessed with two wonderful children, Kristina and Erik.

In addition to the love of his family, Tom treasured time on the golf course with his buddies. Tom’s love extended to his church community at St. Luke’s, where he served as president of Church Council and various other committees. Tom used his love of cooking to donate his time by preparing meals for a local organization, Hope Community Services.

Tom leaves behind his wife of 19 years, Teresa, and his children, Kristina and Erik. He is survived by his parents, Thomas and Mary Anne Roksvold, and predeceased by his brother, Kristian. Tom leaves behind a hole in the heart of his mother-in-law, Anna Palumbo, and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, brothers and sisters-in-law and a myriad of friends.

Toms’s life will be honored and celebrated at the Pelham Funeral Home, 64 Lincoln Ave., on Wednesday August 7, from 2-4 and 6-8  p.m. A Funeral Service will take place at St Luke’s Lutheran Church located at 95 Eastchester Road in New Rochelle, New York, on Thursday, August 8, at 10:00 a.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Hope Community Services in memory of Thomas Roksvold through St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. For more information or to place a condolence please visit http://www.pelhamfuneral.com.

Editor’s note: Below is a letter Superintendent Cheryl Champ sent to the community via email on Saturday.

Dear Pelham Family,

We are very saddened to inform you that Mr. Tom Roksvold, our longtime Pelham Middle School Earth Science Teacher, passed away suddenly on Friday, August 2, 2019. He will be remembered most for his dedication and his kind, thoughtful and caring manner with students.

During his 23 years in our District as a teacher, coach, father, and selfless volunteer, he earned the respect of countless students, staff, parents and community members. He will truly be missed by the students, teachers, administrators and staff of the Pelham Public Schools.

We will send additional information regarding service arrangements as soon as it is available. Counselors will be available in the Middle School counseling offices on Tuesday, August 6, from 9:00am to 12:00pm and Wednesday, August 7 from 9:00am to 12:00pm for students, faculty and staff in need of grief support during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Dr. Cheryl Champ