PMHS’s Students for Refugees to begin second annual toiletries drive with collection boxes in all schools

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by Students for Refugees.

In its second year of operation, Students for Refugees (SFR), a club at PMHS, is gearing up for their annual fall toiletries drive. The club is asking the whole Pelham community to do what it does best, which is coming together in support of students’ efforts to do some good. All donations will be sent to IRIS, Catholic Charities and HIAS, which work with refugees, asylum seekers, asylum recipients and special immigrant visa recipients living in New York and Connecticut.

SFR will place donation boxes throughout Pelham and asks residents to donate toiletry items. Boxes can be found in each of the district’s six schools: PMHS, PMS, Colonial, Prospect, Siwanoy and Hutchinson. Starting from October 7, they will be placed in common, easily reachable areas, but parents and students should ask the staff for specific location within the schools. The last day for donation is October 28th, at which point the boxes and items will be collected.

Each resettled refugee family will receive a similar care package of supplies, so large, unisex items are preferred. For adults, the following items are requested: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bar soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, deodorant and hand/body lotion. For children: shampoo (no tears-gentle), conditioner (or detangler), toothbrushes and toothpaste. For babies: body wash or soap, body lotion and diaper cream or powder. Residents also have the opportunity to contribute to the drive by donating money and toiletries to students as they campaign on the weekends at various locations around Pelham.

Monetary donations are also welcome and will help us purchase more toiletries. Contact [email protected] for more information.