Bartow-Pell Mansion, ‘top five’ spot for Christmas trees, sets holiday schedule of festivities, music, shopping

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum.

Bronx, NY, November 1, 2019 — Named one of the “top 5 places to see Christmas trees” by NBC’s New York Live, Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (BPMM) is decking the halls and preparing for a festive and fun holiday season. Now in their ninth year, the museum’s bespoke Holiday Trees are back! As always, the trees will be decorated by some of the New York metropolitan area’s leading designers, and this year each designer will choose a “Wonder of the Bronx” as inspiration for their decorations.

The revelry kicks off on Friday, December 6th, with the first glimpse of the trees at the annual Holiday Luncheon. Guests will enjoy fine food and friends, while shopping at the Bartow-Pell holiday boutique for unique gifts and home-baked gourmet food and goodies donated by museum members and their friends. That evening the merriment continues with the Holiday First Friday! Music and Trolley featuring the festive sounds of Julie Blenzig and her band.

Holiday fun begins early the next day at the Annual Holiday Family Day, Saturday, December 7th. Children and parents alike will delight in a magic show, arts and crafts in the Orangerie, holiday shopping, and of course the much-anticipated meeting with Santa. For those who made the “nice” list, professional photographs with Mr. Claus himself will once again be offered for an additional fee.

Saturday evening, it’s time to celebrate—and support—the mansion in full holiday splendor at our Holiday Party! Cocktails and caroling will kick off the soiree, followed by a delicious buffet dinner, silent and live auctions, a raffle (Jet Blue tickets, anyone?!), a bourbon tasting with Taconic Distillery, and more. This year’s fete will be a night to remember—don your gay apparel and get your tickets early!

Through it all, the nine “Wonders of the Bronx” adorned trees will delight visitors from entrance hall to double parlors to Lannuier bedchamber, and beyond. This year’s designers are an impressive mix from throughout the tri-state area and including Alice Pirsu, Alice Pirsu Interiors (New York Botanical Gardens theme); Laird Morgan Tolan, Sandra Morgan Interiors (Bronx Zoo theme); Joe Burke (Edgar Allen Poe theme); Lindsay Bleier/Katy Garry (Bartow-Pell theme); Tracy Neumann, The Garden Room (Wave Hill theme); Colleen Zale, CZ Floral Design (Hunts Point theme); Dawn Pintauro, Pintauro Designs (Pelham Bay Park theme); Bartow-Pell Board and Staff (NY Yankees theme).

The merrymaking carries on throughout the month of December. There’s something for everyone this season—including our famous Teddy Bear Tea, candlelit tours of the holiday mansion, and Victorian Carolers—all magical ways to celebrate with a bit of 19th-century spirit and support the preservation and programs at Bartow-Pell.

“Wonders of the Bronx” Holiday Trees in the Mansion
Meander through the 19th-century Greek Revival mansion showcasing festive trees and period rooms decorated by interior designers.

H O L I D AY C E L E B R AT I O N
Tickets may be purchased online at bpmm.org

Holiday Luncheon
Friday, December 6, 12–2 p.m.
Start the holiday season off with a bang at BPMM’s festive annual luncheon. Enjoy the company of friends, delicious food, and shopping for gifts and home-baked goods. Reservations required. Cost $70 and $90 (includes listing in program).

Holiday Party
Saturday, December 7, 7–10 p.m.
Celebrate—and support—the museum in holiday splendor. Enjoy cocktails, buffet dinner, and a live auction amid trees decorated for the season! Reservations required. Cost $150 (after November 16 and at the door $175)

First Friday! Music & Trolley
Friday, December 6, 5:30–8:30 p.m.
Julia Blenzig and her band will be performing contemporary holiday songs for our December First Friday. Enjoy the music, explore the museum, and indulge in some light refreshments. The trolley makes an hourly loop starting at 5:25 p.m. from the #6 Pelham Bay Park subway station to BPMM to City Island. Registration requested. Cost Bartow-Pell Heritage Members and above: Free; Bartow-Pell Friend Members: $5; Not-Yet Members: Adults $15; Seniors/Students $10

Holiday Family Day: Santa, Crafts, and a Magic Show
Saturday, December 7, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
Celebrate the spirit of the holidays! Explore the 19th-century mansion decorated for the season and enjoy hot cocoa and crafts, shop for unique gifts, and meet Santa in a historic setting (professional photos with Santa available for an additional fee)! Space is limited. Registration requested. Cost $20 children one year and up; Bartow-Pell Family or Patron member children $15 (children under one year and adults free when accompanied by a child)

Candlelight Tours and Victorian Carolers
Saturday, December 14, 7 p.m.
Experience the mansion by candlelight with costumed docents highlighting 19th-century holiday traditions. Victorian carolers add to the festive atmosphere while you enjoy wassail and holiday snacks in the conservatory. Registration requested. Cost Bartow-Pell Members: Free; Not-Yet Members: Adults $15; Seniors/Students $10

Bronx Arts Ensemble Presents
Holiday Classics String Quintet Concert
Sunday, December 15, 1 p.m.
Please join us for a memorable afternoon of elegant music in the parlors. Registration requested. Cost Free with museum admission

Bartow-Pell Teddy Bear Tea
Thursday, December 19, 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
We’ve brought back a beloved Bartow-Pell favorite for the holidays! Celebrate the season with a child-approved, bright, colorful, and deliciously decadent holiday-themed menu, story time with the Bartow snow queen, and a sing-along. Perfect for 3- to 5-year-olds accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or favorite adult. Registration required. Cost $25 per person

Cookies & Crafts
Sunday, December 22, 12–2 p.m.
Drop in with your little ones to decorate some holiday cookies to take home after exploring the mansion decked out for the season. Recommended for ages 4 and older. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Cost Free with museum admission ($8 adults, $6 seniors and students, free for children under age 6)
First Friday! Music & Trolley
Friday, December 6, 5:30–8:30 p.m.