State launches Covid-19 case tracker for 64 SUNY campuses; public school version to come

New York State has launched a system-wide Covid-19 case tracker for all 64 State University of New York universities and colleges.

“As coronavirus cases spring up on our college campuses, we are reviewing real-time case data around the clock,” said SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras in a press release. “This data is crucial to helping SUNY make quick, smart decisions that contain Covid-19 and protect our campus communities. With the launching of this new Covid-19 case tracker dashboard, everyone can now access that same data. Controlling this virus is a team effort. As we ask everyone to rise to the challenge and act responsibly, we owe students, faculty, staff and surrounding communities transparent, easily-accessible, up-to-date case information. If we are all informed and resolve to work together to make data-driven decisions in the interest of public safety, we can keep Covid-19 cases down and have a successful semester.”

Separately, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said last week school districts must report positive Covid test results from students, teachers and staff by individual building. The data will be posted online daily to a dashboard the New York State Department of Health will put up Wednesday.