Rotary names Jallepalli, Lavallee, Lee and Winburn its February Scholars of the Month

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams. 

On Wednesday, February 24th, the Rotary Club of the Pelhams collaborated with the Pelham Memorial High School to recognize February’s Scholars of the Month. The practice, which had been long suspended due to COVID-19, has now been resumed for the second straight month, and once again honored four students, instead of two in order to compensate for students who were not able to be honored in previous months. PMHS principal Mark Berkowitz once again introduced this month’s scholars: Vikram Jallepalli, Lucia Lavalee, Dylan Lee, and Zoe Winburn.

Vikram Jallepalli is a member of the Math, Science, and English National Honor Societies. Jallepalli is also an involved, and award-winning member of the science research program, creating projects revolving around cellular and molecular biology. Jallepalli is also a member of the Acapelicas, an acapella group comprised of PMHS students, and a star member of Sock ‘n’ Buskin, the school’s theater program in which he has participated in for every year of his high school career. He is entertainment editor of the Pelham Examiner.

“I want to thank the Rotary Club and the school for the opportunity to be recognized for both my academic and extracurricular achievements during high school,” said Jallepalli.

Lucia Lavallee is another PMHS senior who has been heavily invested in the science research program. Lavallee focused much of her research on examining the cost of moving power lines underground as well as the environmental benefits for the community from planting more trees. A stellar academic, she is a member of the Math, English, Science, Rho Kappa, Spanish, and National Honor Societies. Outside of class, she is a multi-sport athlete in cross country, track and field, as well as racewalking. She is also an avid ballroom dancer, an activity she has been a part of for many years. Lavallee also is a mentor to younger students in the Confident Kids Club and a member of the Pelham Eliminates Plastics club.

“Being chosen as a scholar of the month is truly an honor. It’s nice to be recognized for my hard work and accomplishments over the years. I could not have done this without the support of my friends and family,” said Lavallee.

Dylan Lee is a member of the Math, Science, English, Rho Kappa, Tri-M Music, Spanish, and National Honor Societies. A hard-working and high-achieving student in the PMHS science research program, Lee has worked on projects spanning from molecular simulation to programs for online education. Lee is also the Co-President of the Students for Refugees club, and a member of the Asian Culture Club. Outside of school, Lee has a passion for music and can play the cello, piano, and guitar, which he learned himself. Lee is also a defenseman on the PMHS lacrosse team and a long jumper for the track team.

“Being chosen as a scholar of the month means a lot. It’s very fulfilling knowing that my efforts in and out of school have been recognized,” said Lee.

Zoe Winburn, besides achieving excellence in school, is also an avid journalist as the executive editor of the Pelham Examiner, the town’s local newspaper. A member of the National Honor Society and a natural leader, Winburn holds leadership positions in both the Mental Health Awareness Club and the French Club. In her free time, Winburn volunteers at HOPE Community Services food bank in New Rochelle, as well as teaches younger kids how to dance ballet during the summer.

“It’s an honor to be chosen as a scholar of the month. The Rotary does so much great work in the Pelham and the greater world community and it means a lot to be recognized by such an esteemed organization,” said Winburn.