PMHS students Nevan Malwana and Jamie Burke named Paul Harris Fellows by Rotary

Nevan Malwana and Jamie Burke display their Paul Harris Fellow certificates.

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams.

PMHS students Jamie Burke and Nevan Malwana both received Rotary’s Paul Harris Fellow recognition at the Rotary Club of the Pelhams meeting on March 24. They co-founded the PMHS Interact Club, a student affiliate of Rotary that is sponsoring service projects locally and internationally.

Interact Club members collected items for HOPE Community Services soup kitchen, planted crocus and tulips in Wolfs Lane Park and are currently collecting school supplies for a school in the Philippines and another school in Siri Lanka. They are also raising funds to buy a computer for one of the schools and a copying machine for the other.

“The presentation of a Paul Harris Fellow recognition is Rotary Foundation’s way of expressing its appreciation for a substantial contribution to its humanitarian and educational programs,“ said Rotarian Kevin Falvey. “It is named for Rotary’s founder, Paul Harris, a Chicago lawyer who started Rotary International with three business associates in 1905.”

“Rotarians often designate a Paul Harris Fellow as a tribute to a person whose life demonstrates a shared purpose with the objectives of the Rotary Foundation,” he continued. “Today, we have the honor and pleasure of recognizing the co-founders of Pelham Memorial High School’s Interact Club, Jamie Burke and Nevan Malwana, as they become Paul Harris Fellows. Jamie and Nevan have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to the mission of Rotary on both local and global levels and their efforts exemplify the Rotary motto of ‘Service Above Self.’”

“The world of peace and goodwill comes closer to reality today as Nevan and Jamie become Paul Harris Fellows.”

Donations to support the work of the PMHS Interact Club may be made by checks payable to Pelham Rotary Charities Fund with the memo Interact Club and mailed to Donna Shirreffs, 146 Loring Ave., Pelham, NY 10803.