School board Wednesday: Champ on PMS, PMHS in person; student gender identity policy

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Union Free School District.

The Pelham Board of Education will meet at 6:30pm on Wednesday, April 7, 2021 in the Pelham Middle School Gym, 28 Franklin Place, Pelham, NY 10803, and is expected to immediately enter into executive session to discuss the employment history of a particular person(s). The Board is expected to reconvene in public session for a regular business meeting at approximately 8 pm, which can be viewed on YouTube live.

Members of the community are welcome to attend the meeting in person. Due to public health concerns, physical in-person attendance by members of the public will be limited to a maximum of 34 individuals. Those who attend in person will have their temperature screened and are required to complete a health screening questionnaire prior to entry. Those in attendance must wear a mask/face covering at all times and maintain physical distance from others. Doors to the Middle School will open at 7:15pm.

Please be advised that all public comment will take place in person.

At the meeting, Dr. Champ is expected to share an update on returning MS/HS students for additional in-person instruction. The Board is also expected to continue its consideration of the preliminary 2021-22 school budget.

In addition to Dr. Champ’s Superintendent’s report, the agenda may include updates from each School Board committee, Finances and Facilities, and the three goal areas of the Strategic Plan: Cultural Competence, Authentic Learning, and the Whole Child. The Board may also review and/or adopt Policy 5633 – Gender Neutral Single-Occupancy Bathrooms (Second Reading); Policy 7552 – Student Gender Identity (First Reading); and Policy 7330 – Searches and Questioning of Students (Third Reading). These policies will be available for review on BoardDocs as part of the meeting agenda.

The full meeting agenda will be available approximately 24 hours before the meeting on BoardDocs. To access the agenda once it has been posted, visit www.pelhamschools.org and click “Meetings and Coffees” under the “Board of Education” tab. Then click the button for “Agendas and Minutes” and click the link for the “Wednesday, April 7, 2021” meeting.