Start-up PelTech offers computer programming classes for kids

PelTech, a new Pelham-based company, is offering technology workshops taught virtually for students in grades three through eight.

Founded by high school senior Allie Feldman in the fall, PelTech’s goal is to shine a positive light on technology by exposing students to programming in a fun and engaging way.

“Technology is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States,” said Feldman, who attends Pelham Memorial High School. “Due to the increasing need for technical work, programming is a highly regarded skill. However, the presence of social stigmas results in limited involvement and interest among children and adolescents.”

PelTech’s workshops are unique in that they are grounded in research. In 2019, Feldman conducted a study on the psychological factors behind the lack of involvement in technology among Pelham students. She then used the study’s findings to create PelTech’s specialized curriculum. Unlike other beginner programming classes, PelTech not only teaches useful skills but emphasizes collaboration and creativity. Increasing students’ confidence and curiosity is meant to inspire them to continue learning about technology.

“In the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, many previously in-person after-school programs have adapted to a virtual format,” said Feldman. “PelTech’s curriculum is formulated specifically for online learning, and its small class sizes guarantee an interactive and intimate learning experience.”

The company’s founder is passionate about the business and the positive impact she hopes it will have on how technology is viewed in Pelham as a whole. PelTech will not only teach students basic programming skills and build up their confidence in their abilities, but the company is “able to provide a sense of community during this isolating time.”

The program is designed to expose students to different aspects of technology and build up skills that will help them later in their lives, especially with entering the workforce. As students get older, their perceptions of technology seem to become more negative, and Feldman said she hopes PelTech will “tackle these issues by targeting students at a young age”.

PelTech’s first set of weekly workshops will cover video game development and begin on Monday for grades 3-5 and May 3 for grades 6-8. The workshops consists of four sessions and will be held over Zoom.

To register, parents can visit the PelTech website or call (914)-525-6577.