Matos, Durham, Blackburn, Almo named March Rotary Scholars of the Month

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams.

On Wednesday, March 24, the Rotary Club of the Pelhams held its monthly celebration of the Scholars of the Month. In attendance was PMHS principal Mark Berkowitz who introduced the members of the Rotary Club to this month’s scholars, all seniors: Juan Carlos Matos, Honor Durham, Issac Blackburn, and Sara Almo.

Juan Carlos Matos

Juan Carlos Matos is a student who is heavily interested in many aspects of science. A stellar member of PMHS’s science research program, Matos enjoys studying biology and physics with much of his research focusing on cardiomyocyte cells and regenerative medicine.  Matos is a member of the Math, Science, English, Social Studies, Spanish, and National Honor societies. Matos is also a star rugby player and has been playing for nearly a decade, and was chosen as a New York State All-Star as a sophomore, as well as a member of Gorilla Rugby for the Tropical 7s rugby tournament held this year. A longstanding cello player, Matos has performed at Carnegie Hall and was a selected member of the are all-state orchestra for New York. Matos plans on pursuing a STEM field in college.

“I feel motivated to continue pushing myself after having my work in and out of the classroom be acknowledged and recognized by some of the most distinguished members of the Pelham community,” Matos said.

Honor Durham

Honor Durham is a devout student and an involved member of the PMHS community. Durham is a member of the Math, Science, English, and Social Studies honor societies, as well as a leader in Pelham’s chapter of the National Honor Society. Durham is also a member of the science research program where she has spent much of her time researching social media statistics. Durham is a proud founding member of the Pelham Eliminates Plastics Club, and a tennis and track athlete. Durham also plays the viola for the PMHS orchestra. Durham plans to study political science in college.

“I’m very grateful to have been selected for this month and it means a lot to have been able to receive this award! I enjoyed attending the meeting [on Wednesday] and was very humbled to be there!” Durham said.

Isaac Blackburn has greatly utilized PMHS’ science research program, working on a project with a college professor tackling the movement of radioactive pellets over a treatment period. Issac is also a skilled debater as a member of the Speech and Debate Team and is on the national circuit for congressional debate. Blackburn is also a passionate musician, not just a viola and piano player, but also a composer who creates his own original pieces.

“I am happy and honored to receive this recognition, and enjoyed my chance to meet the Rotary Club,” Blackburn said.

Sara Almo

Sara Almo is a hardworking member of the Math, Science, Social Studies, English, and National Honor societies. Almo is a diligent member of the jazz ensemble in which she plays the trumpet. Outside of her academics, Sara is a sailor, who also teaches sailing at SUNY maritime. She is also a volunteer at the Pelham Jewish Senator as a madricha, or teacher’s assistant. Almo plans on studying a field within the humanities in college.

“It is a great honor to be given this award and I am very thankful. I am also excited to represent my school and to be recognized for my hard work and dedication over the years,” Almo said.