13 PMHS students named as commended in National Merit Scholarship competition

Thirteen Pelham Memorial High School students were recognized as commended by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, according to a press release from the Pelham Union Free School District.

This year’s commended students are:

• William Anderson
  • Rachel Atlas
  • Joshua Handelman
  • Dyllan Hofflich
  • Andrew Kelly
  • Austin Kelly
  • Ann Liu
  • Timothy Lyons
  • Matthew McCormick
  • Jordan Schwarz
  • Dean Shannon
  • Joseph Solimine
  • Caitlin Winston

As previously reported, senior Eliana Herzog was named a semifinalist in the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Program, one of approximately 16,000 competing for the scholarships.

Here is the complete press release from the school district on the National Merit program:

Eliana Herzog

PMHS Senior Eliana Herzog has been named a National Merit Semifinalist and 13 others were recognized as Commended Students by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Eliana is one of just 16,000 students across the country to earn the distinction as a semifinalist by scoring among the highest in their respective states on the PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test last year.

This year’s commended students are:

• William Anderson
    • Rachel Atlas
    • Joshua Handelman
    • Dyllan Hofflich
    • Andrew Kelly
    • Austin Kelly
    • Ann Liu
    • Timothy Lyons
    • Matthew McCormick
    • Jordan Schwarz
    • Dean Shannon
    • Joseph Solimine
    • Caitlin Winston

“On behalf of PMHS, I want to congratulate Eliana and all of our commended students on their remarkable achievements,” said PMHS Principal Mark Berkowitz. “I am extremely proud of our students’ tenacity and commitment to academics following an incredibly challenging year. I would also like to acknowledge our incredible teachers and staff who work each day to help our students learn and prepare them for life beyond our schools.”

In addition to demonstrating academic excellence on the PSAT exam, Eliana is a member of the National Honor Society, as well as the Math, Science and Rho Kappa (Social Studies) honor societies and is enrolled in a number of AP courses. She has won several awards as a member of the Model U.N., plays varsity tennis and has been a volunteer teacher’s assistant at the Pelham Jewish Center, among many other activities.

As a semifinalist, Eliana now has the opportunity to be named a National Merit Finalist and earn a chance to receive one of 7,500 National Merit Scholarships totalling nearly $30 million in the spring.