Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

SECOND STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for Pelham rowing with boys second varsity eight win

The Pelham Community Rowing Association’s boys second varsity eight boat won the New York State Championship in Saratoga Springs on Sunday, following the girls varsity four-plus win on Saturday.

The crew included PMHS seniors Emiliano Caltenco and Cameron Stanford, junior Charlie Gottfried and sophomore Max Purcea. Caltenco is committed to La Salle University and Stanford to Ithaca College. Rowers also included Iona Prep senior and Drexel University commit Matteo Domenghetti, senior Michael Weston, Fordham Prep sophomore James Sondey, and Westchester’s James Kolodner and John Healy.

“We had two races, one time trial and a final,” said Caltenco. “In the time trial, we didn’t do so well, but we came back hungry for the final, and we feasted and got the victory. I am extremely proud of my boat for the work they put in leading up to this race.”

“It’s like no other experience in the world,” said Stanford. “Five years of hard work and dedication all paying off as we crossed the finish line ahead of everyone else.”

PCRA’s head boys coach is Reid Johnson. The boat had a winning time of 5:12.000.

Winning states now qualify for the youth nationals in Sarasota, Florida, later this year.

via streamlinerowing.com

Also contributing to this story were Sophia Leung, Kira Findikyan, Gabby Ahitow and Ulysses Conrad.