Past three Rotary Scholarship winners attend club luncheon

Left to right, PMHS Principal and Rotarian Mark Berkowitz, Rotarian and Scholarship Committee member Ellis Moore Jr., Scholarship winners Charlotte Howard, Grace Condon, Caroline Spana, and Rotary President Kevin Falvey

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

Three past winners of Rotary Club of the Pelhams Scholarships— Charlotte Howard (2020), Caroline Spana (2021) and Grace Condon (2022)—attended the Rotary Club luncheon on July 13.

Rotary President Kevin Falvey presented each of them with checks covering one fourth of their four-year scholarship.

Charlotte Howard, who will be a junior at Boston University, said she has a summer internship at a newspaper called Dig and is employed for the summer as a server at a restaurant in the Boston area. She is a journalism major and has a journalism class where students report news about a community for the Boston Globe. She also writes for a satire paper and a fashion magazine and plans a semester abroad concentrating on her religion minor.

Caroline Spana will be a sophomore at Villanova. This summer she is a lifeguard at a New Rochelle country club. She has decided to major in business—accounting and data analysis plus Italian. She plays intramural sports and plans to study abroad in a business program in London next summer.

Grace Condon will be a freshman at SUNY Binghamton. She plans to study in the Arts and Science program, probably concentrating on neuroscience, which was the subject of her science research at PMHS and an internship. This summer she is working in a daycare program and will receive her Girl Scout Gold Award for her “sensory blankets” project. The blankets have buttons, zippers and other item for patients to touch and relieve their tremors. She made 50 of these blankets.

Rotary Club of the Pelhams, which is celebrating its 75th Anniversary this year, awards a scholarship to a graduating PMHS senior each year, The scholarship now totals $12,000. It is funded by contributions from Rotary members and donations from the community.

The club’s food and wine Tastings XVI fundraiser will be held on Sunday, Oct. 16 at Pelham Country Club with all proceeds going to Gift of Life heart surgeries for children in foreign countries and for Pelham youth programs. Tickets at the door are $100 per person. Honorees for the event will be past presidents of the club, past Rotary Scholarship winners and Pelham families who hosted foreign children for gift of Life heart surgeries.For information on advertisements in the Commemorative Journal to be distributed at the event, contact Maggie Klein at [email protected] before Aug. 15.