Pelham Together hosts first teen outdoor overnight to raise awareness about youth mental health

Board games, picnic blankets, guitars, sleeping bags and snacks were scattered across Ingalls Field on June 15. More than 50 Pelham teens, united by the common cause of mental health, came together for the first annual Pelham Overnight.

Hosted by the nonprofit organization Pelham Together and organized by the Pelham Together Youth Council, the event aimed to raise money and awareness for youth mental health through a midnight walk and campout.

Pelham Together Executive Director Laura Caruso said the night was a success, with more than $500 raised in donations.

During the overnight, teens took turns walking around Ingalls once an hour to represent how mental health never sleeps. Everyone walked the first lap together to commemorate the start of the night and to symbolize unity in tackling mental health stigma.

Highlights of the night included reflection stations, which were set up around the track for teens to stop and journal, make bracelets and color, as well as a late-night movie and bonding activities such as soccer and spikeball.

Abby Parker, a junior and youth advisor for the Pelham Together Youth Council, said, “This event was so amazing! We had a great turnout for the first year and hope to grow. Everyone on the Pelham Together team worked so hard to put it together. Walking the first lap together was very memorable.”

“The event was a success, thanks to the hard work and determination of our teens,” said Danielle Marrero, Pelham Together youth advocate. “This opportunity allowed them to develop public speaking skills and gain confidence but also brought their creative ideas to life. Their event aimed to raise awareness, provide valuable resources and teach essential skills to those who may be struggling or resources that they can provide to others. I am forever grateful for our amazing teens and adults in our community who took the initiative to support such an important cause.”