PMHS Students for Refugees Club to hold fundraiser and bake sale Wednesday

Editor’s note: the following press release was provided by Stephanie Munn, president of the Students for Refugees Club at PMHS

Students for Refugees (SFR), a newly formed club at PMHS, is gearing up for a winter supplies drive. Resettled refugees living in Westchester, New York City, and Connecticut need help to get through the winter because with the added expenses of heating and warm winter clothing, funds tend to get tight around the holidays.

Therefore, along with other organizations, SFR is collecting and buying toiletries to donate. The club is asking the whole Pelham community to do what it does best, which is coming together in support of students’ efforts to do some good.

SFR is placing donation boxes around town, so if you have extra toiletries, bring them over to PMHS, Colonial Elementary School, Siwanoy Elementary School, Pelham Jewish Center, Huguenot Memorial Church, or the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. At each location, the brightly colored box is located in the main entrance or lobby. SFR is looking for the following items: shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, female hygiene products, toothpaste, toothbrush, loofahs, and sanitary napkins.

No toiletries to donate? No problem! SFR is holding a bake sale at the gazebo near the train station on November 7 from 3:30 – 5:30. Along with satisfying your sweet tooth, you’ll be funding the purchase of toiletries.

You can also support the cause by donating money. SFR club members fundraise outside of CVS and DeCicco’s on the weekends, so come by and say hi.

The toiletries drive ends November 9th, so act fast. All collected money will be used to purchase toiletries en masse from local stores. These toiletries, along with the ones donated, will be given to the Westchester Refugee Initiative (WRI), which will distribute the items accordingly.

Email [email protected] for more information.