PMHS student-faculty basketball game brings students and staff together for a good cause

The Pelham Memorial High School boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams went head to head against faculty from the high school on Thursday in the Pelham Middle School gym. 

This student-faculty basketball game raised funds for Operation Smile Club at PMHS. The Operation Smile club helps fund medical missions to third world countries where children born with cleft lips and palates don’t have the opportunities to receive medical care. All of the proceeds from the event went towards this excellent cause.

Presidents of Operation Smile Ellianna Bryan, Grayce Cooper and Juliana Cortale organized this event.

“The student-teacher basketball was so much fun to organize,” said Bryan. “Tons of PMHS students came to watch and it was super successful all around. The teachers were amazing and so eager to help out and support us. We were able to raise enough money to help five children receive cleft lip or cleft palate surgery. Our efforts and all of the money we raised goes directly to the organization, which is something we are very proud of.” 

Senior Matthew Reynolds and teacher Thomas Beck co-announced the basketball game. “Announcing the game with Mr. Beck was really fun because of the funny remarks he makes, and his ability to keep me and the crowd interested,” said Reynolds. 

The energy in the gym stayed up the whole game, as students cheered for their peers and teachers. The teachers ended up winning, with a final score of 54-51.

The game was so much fun to play in especially knowing the money was going to a great cause,” said Maeve Parmelee, a senior who played varsity. 

Some starting players of the faculty team that lead their team to victory were Dave Schembari, James Marcotullio, Joseph Dibello and Mike Solazzo. The game brought students, staff and community members together and raised about $1,300.