Pelham Civic Association presents $25,000 in community awards to PMHS students

Daly Walsh with Dr. Peter Hoffmann, Darrell Walsh, Nick Senerchia, Joe Nunziata, John Boyce and Michael Ming, the president of the Civics.

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Civic Association.

(June 15, 2020 – Pelham, NY) Founded in 1939, The Pelham Civic Association, one of Westchester County’s most active volunteer, charitable organizations – dedicated to assisting the youth, elderly, mentally & physically challenged and financially needy – presented six Community Awards totaling $25,000 to exemplary Pelham Memorial High School students on June 15, 2020.

These awards recognize special students who not only excel academically, but have also made significant contributions to our community through their leadership in volunteer time, actions, talents and dedication. These honorees selected serve as role models for compassion and service,  as they demonstrated enthusiasm and motivation in the areas of community service, charitable support, civic leadership, and creativity in service:

JUSTIN O’BEIRNE

The Pelham Civic Association Vincent Lopardi Award for Community Service – $10,000.

Named in honor of past Pelham Civic member Vincent Lopardi, who helped founded the organization in 1939, this award is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham who best exemplifies outstanding civic pride and community spirit, demonstrating active participation in facing the community’s real life problems and issues by offering their skills to the needs of the community. This year’s recipient is Justin O’Beirne, who was the lead organizer of the Project Community Color Run and who through Project CHILDD is a teen mentor to autistic and developmentally disabled children.

ELLIANNA BRYAN

The Pelham Civic Association Camillo D’Urso Award for Charitable Support – $8000.

Named in honor of past Pelham Civic member Camillo D’Urso, this award is presented to either a high school, college or graduate student who resides in Pelham, and who best exemplifies leadership and support in charitable work, demonstrating generous actions, donation of time, money, service or help to persons less fortunate or organizations that provide for those in need. This year’s recipient is Ellianna Bryan, who founded a local chapter of Operation Smile, recruited 120 of its members and raised funds to provide at least 16 surgeries for children suffering from cleft palates in developing countries.

SOPHIE XU

The Pelham Civic Association Joseph L. Nunziata Award for Creativity & Service – $2500.

Named in honor of current Pelham Civic member and officer Joe Nunziata, this award is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham who best represents their outstanding creative talents for the benefit of others. This may include creative disciplines such as writing, art, graphic design, photography, and creative and strategic concepts that enhance the lives of others.  This year’s recipient is Sophia Xu who actively promoted community causes such as STEAM education, school spirit and substance-abuse awareness and prevention.

DALY WALSH

The Pelham Civic Association Anthony Senerchia Memorial Award for Service – $2000.

Named in honor of past Pelham resident and community leader Anthony Senerchia, this award is presented to an individual who demonstrates strong community dedication and service by helping the next generation of students reach their full potential through either teaching or assisting younger students with after school programs, activities and studies. This year’s recipient is Daly Walsh, who has devoted her leadership efforts in promoting concussion safety and awareness in youth sports, addressing the challenges among school-aged patients.

THOMAS ROCHE

The Pelham Civic Association Hon. Richard J. Daronco Award for Civic Leadership – $1500

Named in honor of past Pelham Civic member and US Federal Judge Honorable Richard J. Daronco,

this award is presented to an individual who is proud to serve as Pelham’s representative at the Model Congress of the United Nations.  This year’s recipient is Thomas Roche.

SOPHIA LEUNG

The Pelham Civic Association Philip J. Colicchio Award for Leadership – $1000

Named in honor of current Pelham Civic Emeritus member and past officer and President Phil Colicchio, this award is presented to the incoming Pelham Memorial High School President of the Student Association, providing the opportunity to attend a leadership conference of their choice. This year’s recipient is Sophia Leung.

This is the Pelham Civic Association’s  31st consecutive year of presenting their Community Awards, with Michael Ming as its new President. This year’s Committee is chaired by Darrell Walsh and Chris Constant. Its other members include Chris D’Angelo, John Boyce, Dr. Peter Hoffmann, Nick Senerchia and Victor Metsch. For more information on the Pelham Civics please pelhamcivics.org.