Kalyvas and Lavallee, or Lavallee and Kalyvas, are valedictorian and salutatorian of PMHS Class of 2021

Emily Kalyvas (left) and Lucia Lavallee.

Emily Kalyvas and Lucia Lavallee are the valedictorian and salutatorian of the Pelham Memorial High School Class of 2021, but which student achieved which honor is not being disclosed, as is the PMHS tradition. Their status at the top of the class was unveiled during the senior awards night, when the two were given the Lower Hudson Council of School Superintendents Award, which goes to the top two students by grade point average. In conferring the award, PMHS does specify which student is number one and which is number two.

A second award is still to be presented to the top three in the graduating class, so to Lavallee, Kalyvas and one other student, meaning the only student whose actual class rank will be known will be the one ranked third, owing to the two different awards. The W.W. Fairclough Scholarship will be given during the commencement ceremony Saturday to the top three academic achievers in the graduating class without the order specified. The scholarship was established in memory of W.W. Fairclough, PMHS principal from 1923 through 1945 and superintendent of schools from 1945 to 1955.

Both Lavallee and Kalyvas will be attending Georgetown University this fall. Kalyvas is the president of the Women’s Empowerment Club at Pelham, while Lavallee is a nationally ranked racewalker for the varsity track team. Both Lavallee and Kalyvas are also award-winning members of the PMHS science research program.