Board of education recognizes 19 students for academic awards, hears update on PMHS assistant principal search

Nineteen Pelham Memorial High School students were recognized by the board of education as recipients of academic honors from the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corp. at the start of Wednesday’s meeting.

Five seniors were named National Merit Semifinalists: Victor Chang, Julia Meyerson, Leila Brady, Adina Sasson and Katie Brandler. Five additional seniors were named National Merit Commended Students: Audrey Levenson, S. Tapagna, Aoife Jeffries, Teddy Johnson and Emma Van Praagh.

Nine juniors and seniors were honored by the College Board with national recognition awards: Chris Franchini, Genevieve Pereira, Audrey Levenson, Giovanni Carrion-Silva, Ian Urquhart, James Blackburn, Matthew Michailoff, Milan Otondi, Sorany Campo and Naiya Gonzalez-Breen. 

The board heard the search for an assistant principal at PMHS is still underway, as candidates are still coming in.

“We have been accepting applications,” said Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ. “That is closing shortly. We have been reviewing resumes, and we plan to start screening interviews as early as next week.” The district’s goal is to have someone to appoint to the position by November. 

The next board meeting will be held on Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Pelham Middle School library.