Pelham Democratic town candidates discuss EMS service, inclusivity and modernization during press conference

Pelham Democratic Town Councilwoman Kristen Burke hosted a press conference on her front porch Thursday to kick off the campaign for herself and her fellow Democratic candidates, Councilwoman Maura Curtin and Town Justice Adam Kagan. Burke, Curtin and Kagan are all seeking reelection to their current positions in the Nov. 7  general election.

Burke and Curtin are running against Republican candidate Clive Anderson for two seats with four-year terms on the Pelham Town Council. Kagan will face former GOP Judge John DeChiaro.

The afternoon press conference showcased the work of the three candidates, while also emphasising the efforts of the Pelham Democratic Party. Allison Frost, Town of Pelham Democratic committee chairwoman, introduced the goals of the candidates. Quality ambulance service, expansion of library and recreation programs, inclusive representation, sustainability efforts and modernization of government were mentioned during her and the candidates’ remarks.

“We are here not just to endorse names on a ballot, but to champion individuals who have proven their dedication to public service and the betterment of our shared future,” said Frost.

Burke and Curtin have participated in the effort on the town board to improve ambulance service in Pelham. Through the county, the board has temporarily arranged an ambulance to be stationed near Pelham in Wilson Woods Park. Negotiations to pay Eastchester EMS to provide service to the town are in still ongoing.

In the 2019 election, Kagan, Burke and Curtin turned over Republican seats on the town bench and the town council. In 2021, the Democrats took the majority of the town board with the election of Kara McLoughlin.

“When we ran four years ago, it felt like it was a mountain we had to climb,” said Burke. “There hadn’t been any Democrats on the town council in twenty years. I’m glad we did the climb.”

Westchester County Executive George Latimer and County Legislator Terry Clements were also in attendance and gave speeches on behalf of the Pelham candidates.

“Election day is not in 406 days, it’s in 20 days,” said Latimer. “Because the election we have in front of us, we have all over the county. This is the election where you send people back to the town hall, where you send someone to represent you in the county board of legislatures.”

Town Supervisor Dan McLaughlin and Town Clerk Antoinette Clemente, both Republicans, are running unopposed for their third two-year terms.

Meanwhile, the Democratic candidates for the Village of Pelham Board of Trustees will face no GOP challengers. Mayor Chance Mullen is the presumptive winner of his contest, as are Trustees Michael Carpenter and Don Otondi and former Trustee Theresa Mohan for three seats on the village board.

The Democrats aren’t running candidates for supervisor or town clerk for the third time because “I think in the coming term there are lots of challenges that are going to arise for the town council,” said Frost. “So everyone wanted to put their time and energy in those positions at this time.”

View Comments (4)