Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Columbine survivor endorses town board candidates Curtin and Burke as advocates of gun violence prevention

To the editor:

Over two decades ago, I was a student at Columbine High School, which at that time, was the site of one of the most deadly school shootings in American history. 

Now 24 years later, the experience has irrevocably shaped my views as a mother, gun violence survivor and proud Pelham community member. It is also why reelecting gun sense candidates like Maura Curtin and Kristen Burke for Pelham Town Council is so essential.

Why should Curtin and Burke’s stance on gun sense matter to you? As we’ve seen from the tragic events in Maine over the past week, this is a local issue. Beyond that, gun violence has become the leading cause of death for our children and teens in the U.S., according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics. 

In the wake of each of these tragedies, the question always surfaces, “what could have been done to stop this?” The fact of the matter is it starts at the local level by supporting candidates that share our collective values of preserving the health and safety of our community.

Curtin and Burke will make sure our safety comes first by being vocal advocates in Pelham on the issue of gun violence prevention. Please join me on Nov. 7 and vote for Maura Curtin and Kristen Burke for town council. 

Salli Garrigan

15 Country Club Lane

View Comments (10)