Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Magic words: ‘Consumerism’ and ‘compression’ send two Pelham students to regional spelling bee

From left, Anand Palshikar, who took second place in the school district spelling bee; MacPherson Alderman, first place, and Drew Rosado, third place.

In the end, it was consumerism for MacPherson Alderman and compression for Anand Palshikar.  

Those two words spelled correctly at the school-district-wide spelling bee qualified both students for the regional competition. Alderman, a fifth grader from Siwanoy, took first place in the Pelham bee, and Palshikar, a Pelham Middle School eighth grader, placed second. They will be spelling against students from around the region March 21 at Half Hollows High School East in Dix Hills on Long Island.

MacPherson is competing at the regional level for the second year running.

Each year, elementary and middle school students have the chance to hone their spelling skills during the annual spelling bee. The competition begins with events at each elementary school and the middle school, then culminates in the district-wide bee at which the top three finishers from each school compete for the ultimate title of district champion. 

“Students don’t have the opportunity to study words as much as they want to,” said Dr. Maria Thompson, director of humanities for the school district. “I love to serve the students who enjoy words, and I really admire the dedication and time students put in while they compete. They are so enthusiastic.”

Thompson started the spelling bee program in 2018. The idea was first suggested by members of the elementary school PTA organizations, who cultivated the idea as an opportunity for academic enrichment. When the program first began, the competition consisted of local bees at each school and ended with the district event. Last year, Thompson was able to register the district’s program with Scripps National Spelling Bee, allowing successful spellers to move on to the regional competition and, possibly, to the national spelling bee.

Following their success at the district bee, both Alderman and Palshikar completed a digital spelling test to address their proficiency for the upcoming regionals. The regional bee will include about 50 students from New York City, Westchester County and Long Island. 

Thompson said, “I think that we should be really proud of all of the students that participate. Studying the words takes a ton of work, and the level of competition is stiff. All of the students who participate at the school and district levels are winners. Our two students moving onto regionals are exceptional and have dedicated an inordinate amount of time. The Pelham schools are very proud of them.”