Speakers on ‘Women in the Workforce’ panel hosted by PMHS club stress need for mentors to build careers

Finding mentors is critical if women are to have success in their careers, according to several speakers on a “Women in the Workforce” panel held by a Pelham Memorial High School club at the Picture House.

Panelists discussed the struggles of being a female member of the workforce and their varying paths to success during the first such program hosted by the PMHS Women’s Empowerment Club on March 5. The night also featured a fundraising bake sale.

“I think it’s really important all of us know where we are because of the people that helped mentor, encourage and guide us,” said Theresa Mohan, an attorney and Village of Pelham trustee. “In this community, we want to be there for you guys.”

Michelle Sterling, chief of staff and communications director for Assemblywoman Amy Paulin, said, “I think that whether it’s women or men, the people who have been significant people at every turn of my life are those who have mentored me or have been helpful or inspirational. You can even do that as high schoolers for kids younger than you. Our generation growing up it was always emphasized that women should be kind and empathetic, but it is also okay to be tough. You can be all three of those together.”

In discussing the impact that women can have on others in the workforce, Tig & Peach owner Amanda Star said, “We hit a golden nugget with founding and owning this business. We get to interact a lot with high schoolers and primarily women who are growing up and have their first job. We’re their first bosses and that’s a really rewarding thing for us and it’s something that we really enjoy doing.”

The Women’s Empowerment Club is student-run club and focuses on raising awareness for women’s issues. The profits from the bake sale went to Yes She Can, a nonprofit organization based in White Plains that helps individuals with learning differences develop the skills to be successful in the workplace. The club also sold pins with messages promoting equality for women and flower pins made by student Giada O’Kane. The club advised people to give or wear flower pins on March 8 in celebration of International Women’s Day.

Club leaders Zoe Pursel, Kathryn Kuznetsov and Laura Shelton ran the program.

“The event was a great space where women in the community and women from our school were able to come together to learn and share ideas,” Pursel said.

“I thought it was a really empowering experience to hear the perspectives of so many different women and their experiences in the workforce. It was very reassuring to hear that no matter what path you start on, it will work out,” said club member Plum Durham. “I thought it was really great of WEC to spotlight the powerful women in our town.”

The other speakers included Deepti Paulose, assistant professor of emergency medicine at Mount Sinai Morningside-West; Eden Perry, managing director at S&P Global Ratings; Emily Donnelly, also a founder and owner of Tig & Peach, and Gretchen Pursel, global chief people officer at Wella Company.