Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Three school board members negotiating with Village of Pelham over possible transfer of Julianne’s Playground

Athletic Director Joe Toombs III presents to the school board.

School Trustees Sidney Burke, Will Treves and Jackie De Angelis have entered into negotiations with the Village of Pelham over the possible transfer of Julianne’s Playground to the village, School Board President Dr. Michael Owen-Michaane said Wednesday at the board of education meeting.

“We thank them for their time and work on that,” said Owen-Michaane.

The village is seeking to build underground reservoirs and install pumps in the area of the tennis courts and blacktop at the park, which is owned by the school district, as part of a proposed $39 million overhaul of the municipality’s storm sewers designed to reduce flooding in the north Pelham and Highbrook Avenue neighborhoods.

The school board voted to authorize the talks at its meeting on Feb. 28, stipulating what would likely be a sale of the park would need to be for some “consideration,” without specifying what that could be. Should a deal be reached, any transfer would have to be approved in a referendum of school district voters, as do all real estate transactions.

During the meeting, the board of education continued its review of the preliminary budget for 2024-25, including the athletics program.

The proposed $93.4 million spending plan, which would increase taxes 2.67%—below the state-set cap—is projected to be funded 77% by property taxes, 14.2% by state and federal aid, 4.1% from miscellaneous receipts and 4.7% from the district’s fund balance.

Homestead properties are forecast to have an increase in valuation of 8.26% and non-homestead properties of 8.29%.

Athletic Director Joe Toombs III presented his report on the current year’s interscholastic sports program and the proposed budget for next year, noting Pelham offers 76 sports at the high school and middle school, with 911 students registered.

Last school year, there were 326 home competitions and 204 away competitions.

“It is probably more convenient for the students and parents to not have to travel and be on the bus,” said Owen-Michaane. “They have time to do their homework and get to bed on time.”

“Yes, that’s a big win,” said Toombs.

The projected rise in spending for interscholastic athletics in the new budget is 3.8%, which includes increases for coaching stipends, equipment, materials, supplies, transportation, officiating fees and contractual costs.

The next board of education meeting will take place April 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the middle school library.