Dr. Steven Garcia, school district’s executive director for HR, to depart, becoming fifth administrator to leave in past two years

Dr. Steven Garcia, executive director for human resources and leadership for the Pelham school district, is leaving after 11 years.

Dr. Steven Garcia, executive director for human resources and leadership in the Pelham school district, has resigned after working in the school system for 11 years, according to an email from Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ. He will take a similar post in the Hendrick Hudson School District beginning July 1.

“It wasn’t an easy decision,” said Garcia at the school board meeting on Wednesday. “I also leave with great sadness. It’s bittersweet. I joined here when my kids were two and seven. This is a wonderful place to work.”

During the meeting, Champ said Garcia “originated this role here of executive director of human resources and leadership and now has the opportunity, I believe, to initiate the role in another district. So they saw quality and they’re stealing it away from us.”

Garcia will be working with Michael Tromblee, Pelham’s former director of technology and now the superintendent of the Hendrick Hudson district.

Over the past two years, the Pelham school system has seen a good deal of turnover among its top administrators, with four leaving after staying in their jobs for two to four year stints. Dr. Alice Bowman, assistant superintendent for teaching and learning, resigned in March after two years to take a similar post in a Long Island district, and Pelham Memorial High School Principal Mark Berkowitz is departing after four. In March 2022, Julia Chung, assistant superintendent for pupil personnel services, stepped down in the middle of the school year following three years working in Pelham, while last year Athletic Director Christian Hodge also resigned mid-year with three years on the job.

Garcia has been in his current position for role two years, and prior to that was assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction and personnel. While in the district, he led the development of makerspaces in all six schools and the addition of flexible furniture. He also assisted in creating the past two strategic plans as well as the one currently being written, said the email.

Garcia was involved in the hiring of 35% of the current district staff, said Champ at the board meeting.

Information on a search to fill Garcia’s post will be released at a future date, said the superintendent’s email.

View Comments (1)