Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

PMHS U.S. government students achieve state’s Seal of Civic Readiness

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Union Free School District. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

Last Tuesday, June 16, students in Marc Sirico’s AP U.S. Government class presented their Civic Action Projects that were completed as part of the Seal of Civic Readiness program. The Seal of Civic Readiness is a New York State Education Department initiative that provides formal recognition on participating students’ high school diploma that they have attained a high level of proficiency in terms of civic knowledge, civic skills, civic mindset, and civic experiences.

Students’ projects focus on a specific issue and they earn points based on how they analyze sources, determine the issue’s impact on communities, evaluate public policies, recommend and/or evaluate solutions/strategies, communicate their findings and explain how the project influenced their civic knowledge.

Examples of topics that students focused on include:

• Creating more mental health resources in schools

• Advocating for gun safety legislation

• Shifting to renewable energy

• Increasing contraception awareness

• Curbing use of fentanyl and other drugs

The Seal of Civic Readiness project was piloted by the AP U.S. Government class this year and will be open to all PMHS students in the 2024-25 school year!

Congratulations to all of our students on completing these important projects!