45 Years in the making: the 2020 PMHS Olympics

According to tradition, the Pelham Memorial High School Olympics started in 1975. In the beginning, the day was simpler and more of a traditional Olympics style. The banners which students today pour hours of work into, were simply class flags back then, and the events were more centered around sports.

But, as the number of students rises each year, so does the demand for new events and opportunities for students. Needless to say, a lot has changed since the tradition first started decades ago.

A lot of the changes since then were made by my predecessor, Mrs. Regina Ricci, who helped organize and run the Olympics since the 90s,” said Megan Rice, the advisor of the student association, who helps run the festivities. “Mrs. Ricci always tried to add new events to include more and more of the student body, and I have tried to continue that tradition. Since I first started getting involved with the student association, our school enrollment has grown by a lot, which has put more strain on the resources for Olympics.”

As for the students, it has always been one of the most exciting and anticipated days of the school year, involving weeks if not months of planning and creating. Every member of the student body has a chance to participate and unify with their grade.

“Whether you are a dancer, a football player, an artist or a writer there is something for you in Olympics,” said Izzy Anderson, a senior at PMHS. “Olympics teaches us to recognize and appreciate the talent of others, and when people feel valued, they’re encouraged to support the rest of their grade. I also think that the novelty of the experience pushes the involvement. No matter where you go, there is nothing like Olympics anywhere but Pelham.”

No matter what grade or year you graduated, for most students and alumni, Olympics is a treasured day. It starts new friendships, and even some new rivalries, but at the end of the day it is a celebration that allows each student to laugh, compete and hopefully, have some well deserved fun.

Find more photos of this year’s festivities here!