Brady and Lal—or Lal and Brady—valedictorian and salutatorian of PMHS Class of 2020 (only school computer knows for sure)

From left, Pelham Rotary President Marty Ketels, Scholars of the Month Lance Brady and Asher Lal, and PMHS Principal Jeannine Clark.

Lance Brady and Asher Lal were named valedictorian and salutatorian of the Class of 2020, though not necessarily respectively, according to Pelham Memorial High School. Their status at the top of the class was disclosed in a story in the Journal News on Monday, which did not specify which student held which honor.

The Pelham Union Free School District would not clarify further, claiming it doesn’t rank students. This claim is called into question by the fact the school was indeed able to name the top two and to provide the Pelham Council of PTAs the names of the top three for the annual Fairclough Prize, which is the school district’s substitute for naming a valedictorian and salutatorian.

Lal will be attending Cornell University with an intended major of biomedical engineering. Lal was the captain of the Science Olympiad team and was elected as the president of the Class of 2020. She was also the president of the PMHS National Honor Society.

Brady will be attending Yale University with an intended major of geology and geophysics. At PMHS, he was a member of the boys’ lacrosse, swimming and cross country teams, and was elected by the Class of 2020 to be a member of the Student Association. Brady was vice president of the PMHS National Honor Society.