PMHS Principal Berkowitz assigns hybrid model cohorts prior to district decision on 2020-21 learning plan

In an email sent out to all parents of PMHS students, first-year principal Mark Berkowitz and assistant principal Bethany Antonelli assigned students into two groups in preparation for a potential “hybrid” model for the school year.

In order to reach social distancing protocols, the district administration is preparing to use all learning models, including the hybrid method, in the case of any pandemic developments in Pelham. The official decision for which of the three planned learning models will be used for the start of the Pelham school year has yet to be made.

Each student at PMHS was assigned to one of two groups: Cohort A and Cohort B. In the event of a hybrid learning schedule, each group will receive a combination of in-person and virtual instruction from teachers. “Cohort A will attend school on Mondays and Tuesdays. Cohort B will attend school on Thursdays and Fridays,” said Berkowitz in an email, “each cohort will receive instruction on Wednesdays.”

This information comes following Governor Andrew Cuomo’s statement that while New York public schools have permission to open statewide, each district’s course of action will ultimately be decided by their superintendents.

Nearing the end of the email, Berkowitz and Antonelli cautioned that all district plans are subject to change depending on state or local conditions. “Thank you for your support as we strive to establish a safe and healthy experience for all students. As we get closer to the start of school, we will send you additional information regarding the logistics of arrival and dismissal and other safety protocols,” the email stated. “In the meantime, stay safe and enjoy the rest of your summer!”

For more information on the proposed hybrid model for PUFSD, see the district website here.