Rotary names D’Angelo, Feldman, Kalyvas, Bober as April Scholars of the Month

From top left: Allie Feldman, Jack D’Angelo, Emily Kalyvas. Not pictured: Brett Bober.

Editor’s note: This release was provided by the Rotary Club of the Pelhams.

On April 28, the Rotary Club of the Pelhams continued its monthly tradition of honoring four Pelham Memorial High School students as Scholars of the Month. This month, PMHS principal Mark Berkowitz once again joined the Rotary’s virtual meeting to honor this month’s scholars, all seniors: Jack D’Angelo, Allie Feldman, Emily Kalyvas and Brett Bober.

Jack D’Angelo spends much of his time focusing on his academic endeavors. He finds himself particularly attracted to science, especially physics. Outside of school, D’Angelo has found himself to have had some great experiences as a worker at both the Ice Hutch and the Pelham Country Club, as well as through being a passionate member of the Model United Nations club at the high school. D’Angelo is also a volunteer with the Catholic Youth Organization at OLPH. D’Angelo plans on studying physics at Georgetown University.

“I am honored and grateful to be recognized by such an impactful group as the Rotary Club of the Pelhams,” D’Angelo said.

Allie Feldman is a student who is very involved in engaging not just herself in academics, but also other students. Feldman is very involved in STEM and in fact, founded Peltech, an organization that creates virtual workshops for students in grades three through eight focusing on technology. Feldman is also a member of the science research program at PMHS and enjoys acting in her free time as a member of the SOOP theatre company. Feldman plans on studying computer engineering at Carnegie Mellon University.

“I am humbled and grateful for this recognition and the opportunity to be a part of this organization. It is incredible to see the outcomes of my work throughout high school come to fruition. Thanks to the Rotary Club of the Pelhams, I will pursue my endeavors with a newfound sense of pride,” Feldman said.

Emily Kalyvas is another student who finds herself very engaged with her local community. Kalyvas is the Women’s Equality Club president at PMHS and has been a devout advocate for access to feminine hygiene products. Kalyvas is a proud member of the PMHS science research team where she has focused her research in medical and economic fields. Kalyvas has competed in both the JSHS and WESEF competitions for science research in which she placed second and fourth respectively. Kalyvas is also an athlete as an interscholastic equestrian. Kalyvas plans on studying chemistry at Georgetown University.

“I’m grateful for the support of my family, friends and teachers, and I’m incredibly honored to be recognized by the Rotary Club, which has done so much for both our local and global community,” Kalyvas said.

Brett Bober is a stellar academic and a leading student voice in the fight for the environment. As a member of the science research program, Bober focused on studying coastal erosion — a project that received much local attention. Bober is also a member of the Pelham Eliminates Plastic Club and has a passion for the study of environmental science. Outside of school, Bober helps younger students as a math tutor. Bober will be attending the University of Virginia.

“It’s incredibly rewarding to see my academic accomplishments recognized — I’m honored,” Bober said.