Progressive Women of Pelham calls for seniors to apply for annual student activist award

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Progressive Women of Pelham.

May 20, 2021 – Progressive Women of Pelham (PWP) will be granting its annual Violet Massie-Vereker Student Activist Award this June. The award recognizes a Pelham high school senior (PMHS or other school) who has been a leader in any of the following areas: social justice, climate change, access to universal healthcare, comprehensive reproductive health services, economic justice, free speech, voting rights or human rights.

The award was first presented to Massie-Vereker in 2019 in recognition of her work organizing the first protest march in Pelham history, followed by her leadership on gun control and climate change. Then PWP co-chair Marisa Panzani said: “We hope Violet’s legacy is to inspire the next generation of Pelham students to advocate for change that promotes social justice and progressive values. Progressive Women of Pelham stands with and supports student activists in Pelham as they speak up and work toward a more equitable and sustainable world.”

The recognition comes with a $1000 grant. Any Pelham high school senior with relevant experience is welcome to apply. Students may also be nominated by a Pelham resident, but must complete an application to be considered. Deadline for application is June 1 and the selected student activist will be honored on June 17th.

For more information, please reach out to [email protected]

Apply online at https://progressivewomenofpelham.org/award