Foto Feature: Summerfest returns to Chester Park with music, games, food AND dog parade

Pelham Together’s Summerfest 2023 made a grand return to Chester Park on June 3, beginning with the popular dog parade and offering fun activities and games for the families of Pelham.

Summerfest is Pelham Together’s annual fundraiser and was started to sustain the organization’s youth and family programming. It was held in Gazebo Park last year.

“It is a chance for us to celebrate the best of our community—bringing all age groups together and giving our teen musicians a chance to shine,” said Laura Caruso, executive director of Pelham Together.

Almost 600 people attended the event, she said.

The park hosted various lawn and carnival games, face painting and tie-dye stations. Additionally, many were excited to see the picnic tables allowing all to enjoy the food provided by Depot Dave.

Many student groups and individuals performed on Summerfest’s center stage, showcasing their talents and entertaining the guests. One performer, Christian Prencis, a Pelham Memorial High School sophomore and jazz band member, participated in five of the twelve groups that played.

“For many people like myself, music is a passion we love to pursue, and Pelham Together and the community help many local artists have the ability to perform,” he said. “Being up on stage is like nothing else, no matter the size or the audience. While you are performing, it’s your time to express yourself with sound, and that’s the beauty of it all.”

Some attendees noted young kids seeing members of the PMHS music department perform at town events helps them to get excited about their future high school music endeavors and the opportunities available to them.

“Playing at Summerfest was an awesome experience as always, and all the work put in by the incredible people who put the event together really paid off,” said Sade Jacobs, who also played on the Summerfest stage.