UPDATE: Some PMHS science classes relocated due to bad air quality caused by Canadian fires; masks given to students walking home

All school district outdoor activities move inside

Pelham Memorial High School moved one science class into the auditorium and shifted all outdoor activities inside Wednesday because of bad air quality caused by Canadian wildfires. The main office was giving masks to students who were walking home.

Siwanoy Elementary School parents received an email saying that the school’s students were also being offered masks and any kids outside for longer than two minutes after dismissal would be brought back inside for their safety.

One PMHS science class moved to the auditorium at the teacher’s request, while a few others shifted voluntarily to other locations such as the library, said a school district spokesperson.

Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ announced all district activities were canceled for the afternoon, including after-school care and Pelham Recreation programs.

The dangerous atmospheric conditions moved into the Pelham area Tuesday. They are being caused by more than 100 rampant wildfires in Canada, specifically the Quebec area, according to a statement by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation issued an Air Quality Health Advisory, with the pollutant of concern “fine particulate matter” and the alert in effect until 11:59 p.m.

Levels of pollution are expected to exceed an air quality index value of 100, as predicted by the department’s meteorologists.

In the morning, the school district shifted physical education classes and recess inside and rescheduled outdoor field trips, according to an email from Champ. Teachers were instructed to keep windows closed and use air purifiers. School nurses were monitoring those with asthma or other respiratory challenges, said Champ.

Cristina Stefanizzi

The county health department canceled all outdoor events sponsored by the county and is recommending that its employees who work outside wear masks.

In a statement, Westchester County Health Commissioner Dr. Sherlita Amler said all residents should limit outside activity, especially young people and those with respiratory conditions or heart disease.

More information and an updated air quality index can be found on the state health department website.

Charlotte Cohn and Gabby Ahitow contributed to this story.