Summers in Pelham compared to other nearby towns: Quiet and busy at same time

Pelham is a beautiful town with a great location in close proximity to New York City. The town is normally bustling with residents during the school year, but it feels more quiet during the summer. While Pelham may not have as many activities or public facilities as neighboring municipalities, there is still plenty to do.

Approximately 15 minutes from Pelham, the Mamaroneck Firemen’s Carnival took place June 27 through July 5 and offered food, games and prizes to win. The carnival ended with a firework display for all the attendees to enjoy. Other nearby municipalities have similar events.

While Pelham may not have an annual carnival, there are many options available for Pelham’s young people.

During the summer, children can attend recreation department day camps such as Tiny Tots and Big Tots, or go to camp at Mount Tom. The camps run five days a week for three-to-eight hours a day. Teens have the option to become counselors, counselors-in-training or lifeguards at these and other camps.

They can also work at places such as the local ice cream shop Sweet Lincoln or apply for the internship program run by Pelham Together.

The Town of Pelham Public Library has a great summer reading program for kids and fun activities for toddlers on Saturday mornings, such as a visit from the Bubble Bus on July 15. The Pelham Art Center also offers classes during the summer for all ages.

But what to do in the evening?

Although Pelham does not have as bustling a downtown dining and shopping scene as nearby Larchmont and Bronxville, the town still offers numerous activities. Residents can dine al fresco at one of the various restaurants. The Picture House is a great place to cool down on a hot summer night and view an anticipated movie release. Right now, “Haunted Mansion” is playing.

There are weekly Monday night concerts at the Pelham Gazebo, one of the town’s long-time summer traditions. The Sunday Pelham Farmer’s Market located off Fifth Avenue is another wonderful local activity. There are many vendors at the market, including 3 Blooms, Dobbs Ferry Lobster Guys, Goode and Local by Don Rodrigo and Hey There Paper Goods.

Scarsdale is one of several nearby towns that has a public pool, something Pelham does obviously lack. The Scarsdale town pool offers reasonably priced family and individual memberships to town residents and is always packed with families. It also provides jobs for teens living in Scarsdale.

Residents of Pelham Manor can visit Shore Park and cool down by the Long Island Sound. People can obtain a Westchester County Park Pass to visit nearby beaches such as Glen Island Park as well as the county pools in Mount Vernon, Yonkers and White Plains. Or they can join the New York Athletic Club or the Pelham Country Club, our small town’s two private clubs.

Links for activities in Pelham:

View Comments (1)