Arthur of dapper vest and keen nose ‘joins’ PMHS staff to assist teacher

With short curly hair all over and a dapper vest, Arthur doesn’t look like any of the other teachers moving through Pelham Memorial High School. Dubbed the newest member of staff in a letter from the school, the two-year-old Goldendoodle is a trained medical service dog who will accompany teacher Laura Stagliano as she works on the secondary campus.

Since he was a puppy, Arthur has been taught to detect fluctuations in blood sugar by scent. Arthur can sense the onset of both low and high blood sugar and make the person affected aware before the situation becomes dangerous.

“I have unending gratitude that Arthur became a part of my life,” said Stagliano. “His unbelievable service is a gift,”

Arthur completed extensive training and is certified as an Advanced Canine Good Citizen through multiple tests given by the American Kennel Club, said the letter from the school. In addition to his advanced behavioral training, “he is also hypoallergenic and will not trigger pet dander allergies,” the letter said.

Arthur was born into a litter of eight puppies and chosen for medical service training. He began learning online with a diabetic-alert dog trainer and then did his scent training in person with Stagliano.

Prior to the new school year, Arthur practiced school-based fire drills and moving through the building when classes changed.