Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Bangkok City changes owners, shifts to more authentic Thai food

There was a shift in ownership at Bangkok City Thai restaurant on Fifth Avenue on Sept. 11 as Artie Leeratermpong sold the business to Nim Wahl.

Wahl grew up cooking in Kalee, a small town in Thailand. She learned her cooking skills from her grandmother and started preparing food for her entire family at a young age. She has been working in Thai restaurants intermittently for the past 10 to 15 years. Her husband Scott Wahl, a high school teacher, helps in the evenings.

“She wanted to make it more authentic Thai,” Scott Wahl said. “I think they had some things on the menu before that were kind of creations and not necessarily authentic Thai, and so a change in some of the recipes and just revamping the menu.”

Most employees stayed, but some chose to leave, said Wahl. The new owners tried to keep as many of the staff as possible.

Bangkok City still sells bubble tea.

“We want to make it into something that the community enjoys and to have a really authentic restaurant in the Village of Pelham, to be at a place that is fun and people want to come to and hang out,” said Wahl. “That’s really our goal, just to have a successful restaurant that the local community enjoys and feels they can rely on.”

View Comments (1)