First Pelham Half Marathon and 10K in four years is success for participants and Pelham Civics

With music blaring and spirits high, the Pelham Half Marathon and 10K kicked off to a roaring start. Runners gathered at the Daronco Town House early Saturday morning, coats zipped and hats on, preparing to run their races. As the time neared 7:30 a.m., participants hugged their family members and friends for support and headed to the starting line. Before the start, the national anthem was sung by Grace Kiamie, a junior at Pelham Memorial High School. The runners took off with the signal from the announcer, pulses racing.

Guided by colored signs and police cars, the runners faced icy wind gusts, moving vehicles and hills as they maneuvered the course. Surrounding the path were people cheering them on and the lingering sound of cowbells and clapping as they kept going.

Due to the spread of Covid-19, the race had been shut down until this year, leaving the Thanksgiving holiday in Pelham incomplete. However, with support from new sponsors and the town, the event returned to the streets of the town. The course was slightly altered and had fewer hills due to traffic issues.

The event is run by the Pelham Civic Association, specifically co-directors Jim Arden and Todd Cross. The proceeds go toward the Civics’ various programs supporting those in need and education. This was Arden’s first year as a co-director.

Since the race did not happen for the past few years, new sponsors were sought. The Hospital for Special Surgery Westchester, the Body Blueprint and Symmetry Physical Therapy were a few of the main contributors to the production of the race.

“A month ago, we were shooting to have maybe 600 signups, but now it has really picked up in the last couple weeks,” said Arden. The race had about 435 entries for the 10K and 362 for the half marathon. These numbers exceeded the co-directors’ expectations and the number of participants from prior years.  

Finishers of the 10K and the half were greeted with medals and warm smiles as they were guided to the side of the course. Relieved and exhausted, runners were congratulated by family and friends. Runners congregated in the town house to receive their awards.

“The people I was running with and just seeing them be able to do it” motivated her, said 10K runner Sadie Ashlock.  

Ben Levine was the first finisher of the 10K (36:57), followed by Gian-Carlo Riehl (37:37) and Edward D’Angelo (38:12). Logan Whittall crossed first in the half marathon (1:15:43), followed by Daniel Masterson (1:16:29) and Pelham Bergesen (1:16:30). For full results, click here.

View Comments (1)