PMHS’s Vincent Salerno nominated from NYS for prestigious U.S. Presidential Scholars Program

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham Union Free School District. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

The Pelham Public Schools is thrilled to announce that PMHS student Vincent Salerno is one of just 25 New York State high school seniors to be nominated for the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program. Recognition as a presidential scholar is one of the nation’s highest honors for high school students and Vincent’s nomination marks the 2nd time in the past three years a PMHS student has been nominated.

The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars selects scholars annually based on their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations, and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership, and demonstrated commitment to high ideals.

“I am honored to be recognized for my hard work at such a prestigious level,” Vincent said. “I have had an amazing overall experience at Pelham Memorial High School through academics and athletics. I would not have been able to earn this award without the help of my teachers, coaches, and my guidance counselor, Ms. Pellicane.”

Vincent has excelled as a student at Pelham Memorial High School. He is a member of the National Honor Society and the National Math Honor Society, English Honor Society, Social Studies Honor Society and Science Honor Society, in which he serves as treasurer. Vincent is also a member of the Varsity Baseball and Football teams and has participated in a number of extracurricular activities, including Habitat for Humanity, the Stock Market Club, the Breast Cancer Awareness Club, the Senior Pen Pals Club, the Fight ALS Club and the Pelham Civic Engagement Club. He is also the co-founder and co-president of the Sports Fan Club.

“I am extremely proud of Vincent for achieving this outstanding honor,” said PMHS Principal Mark Berkowitz. “Being nominated for the presidential scholarship program is one of the most prestigious accolades in the entire country and is a testament to his outstanding academic prowess and work ethic. I want to congratulate Vincent, his family, and the faculty and staff of Pelham Memorial High School on this remarkable accomplishment.”

Applications for the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program is by invitation only. Students chosen as U.S. Presidential Scholars receive a U.S. Presidential Scholars medallion in June. For more information on the Presidential Scholars Program, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website.

View Comments (1)