February at Pelham Library: Stuffed animal sleepover, blind date with a book, author talk, Black History Month

Editor’s note: This announcement was provided by the Town of Pelham Public Library. The Pelham Examiner publishes announcements in the form received as a service to the community.

This month brings the return of two favorites: Stuffed Animal Sleepover and Blind Date with a Book. Join us for a live author talk sponsored by the Junior League, a virtual visit to the last home of Frederick Douglass, and arts & crafts to keep kids busy during winter break. For all of this and more, please see below.

Adult Programs and News

Who Are These People?

This photo was accidentally left in a Library book returned by one of our patrons and it made us wonder: Who are these people and what is their story? Where are they and how do they know each other? Well, here is your chance to try your hand at speculative fiction. Be creative and submit your take on this photo using this form. It can be anything from one sentence to a short story. We will compile all the submissions and create a work of collaborative fiction to share next month. Have fun!

Library of Things Newest Addition

Did you know that you can check out more than just books at the Library? Our Library of Things is continuously growing and includes bocci sets, birding backpacks, and more. We are excited to announce our latest addition suggested by one of our patrons: A Measuring Wheel. These are great for gardening, lawn projects, calculating distance of fire pits to meet fire code, and so much more. Come into the Library to test drive one today. Click here to learn more about our Library of Things.

Blind Date with a Book

Come into the Library to find the perfect blind date….with a book! Mysteriously awesome library books will be wrapped up with a special intro ready to be found by the perfect reader. Embrace your love of books by checking one out today!

Thursday, February 1 to Thursday, February 29 🏛

JLP In Person Author Talk: Beyond Happiness by Dr. Jennifer Guttman

“Society instills in us that being happy is binary. But happiness isn’t a mindset—it’s a feeling, and like any other emotion, it comes and goes.” In her debut book, Beyond Happiness, the 6 Secrets of Lifetime Satisfaction, Dr. Jennifer Guttman lays out a roadmap on how to move beyond happiness to achieve authentic life satisfaction by becoming more confident, self-empowered, self-reliant, and resilient. The Junior League of Pelham is hosting this fascinating author talk at the Library. We ask that non-junior league members register for this program by clicking here.

Wednesday, February 7, 6:30-8:30 pm 🏛

Frederick Douglass (copy photo by Mark Gulezian/NPG)

Virtual Ranger Talk from Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

Frederick Douglass spent his life fighting for justice and equality. Born into slavery in 1818, he escaped as a young man and became a leading voice in the abolitionist movement. People everywhere still find inspiration today in his tireless struggle, brilliant words, and inclusive vision of humanity. Douglass’s legacy is preserved at Cedar Hill, the house where he lived his last 17 years, in Washington, D.C. Join us for a talk from Park Ranger Kevin W. Bryant to learn more about Douglass, and how his home came to be part of the National Parks System. This program takes place on Zoom and registration is required. Click here to register.

Wednesday, February 7, 7-8 pm 💻

English as a Second/Foreign Language (ESL) for Intermediate Students

Join us for a series of ESL classes with Pelham resident, EJ Sepp!

This class is intended for low-intermediate to advanced students who are learning English as a second or foreign language. (No beginners please!)

EJ Sepp has taught ESL for 20 years and is the co-author of English Express New York: A Cultural Reading & Writing Text for English Language Learners.

These classes are walk-ins that do not require preregistration or attending all sessions.

Mondays, February 5, 12, and 26, 6-6:45 pm 🏛

Food as Medicine with Dr. Kaushik

This series from Dr. Somesh N. Kaushik discusses the mechanism of action of food on the body and its healing abilities. Dr. Somesh N. Kaushik is the owner and chief medical practitioner of Dr. Kaushick’s Ayurvedic and Naturopathic Clinic in Cross River, NY. With over 35 years’ experience as an Ayurvedic physician, Dr. Kaushik is one of the most experienced Ayurvedic physicians in North America. He is the recipient of the Dhanwantri Award, his profession’s highest honor. Dr. Kaushik recently founded the Institute for the Advancement of Ayurvedic Sciences, a research and teaching institution. This program will take place on Zoom, and registration is required. Click here to register. The Zoom link will be emailed to you before the presentation.

Tuesday, February 13, 7-8 pm 💻

Crafty Adults: Lace Orbs

Join our resident artist/instructor Sara Mallach this month as we turn something old into something new and repurpose vintage lace scraps into beautiful decorative Lace Orbs.

This event will take place in-person at the Library and registration is required. Click here to register. Sign up early, as space and supplies are limited.

Please note: Time change to 7:15 pm for Crafty Adults classes. Please arrive on time as late arrivals disrupt the class.

Monday, February 26, 7:15-8:15 pm 🏛

Adult Hybrid Book Clubs

The After-Dark Book Club will meet on Thursday, February 1 at 7:30 pm to discuss The Sweetness of Water by Nathan Harris and on Thursday, March 7 at 7:30 pm to discuss The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell.

The 2nd-Friday Book Club will meet on Friday, February 9 at 10:30 am to discuss The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray and on Friday, March 8 at 10:30 am to discuss Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus.

To join, email [email protected]. For more information about the 2nd-Friday Book Club click here and for the After-Dark Book Club click here

Black History Month Resources

In celebration of Black History Month, we’ve put together an (abridged!) list of books, music, movies, and other resources about Black History that you can find at the library, or in our digital collections. Click here to see this year’s list.

The Library will be closed on Monday, February 19 in observance of Presidents Day.

We will reopen with our normal hours at 10 am on Tuesday, February 20.

Children’s News and Events

So, Let’s Sew

Our super-popular sewing class just for kids seven and up is back! Those who have never attended a class at the Library should register for the “Newcomers” session, while those who have attended a class in 2023-24 should register for the “Returning Students” session. Due to extremely high demand, priority will be given to students who have attended fewer than three classes in 2023-24. Children must be ages seven or older to attend. Attendance is capped at six people, and a waitlist will be kept. If you are interested, please email Tasha at [email protected]. You must include the following information: your child’s name and age, your name, and your phone number. You will receive an email confirmation. Register soon, as space and supplies are limited!

• Saturday, February 10, 11 am-1 pm (newcomers) 🏛
  • Saturday, February 24, 11 am-1 pm (returning students) 🏛

Community Craft Table: Valentine Tree

Make a heart-shaped valentine to decorate our “tree”. Paper, markers, doilies and other valentine supplies will be available at our community craft table. Once you are done with your valentine, have an adult hang it on our lobby tree. We can’t wait to see what you make.

Thursday, February 1 through Thursday, February 29 🏛

Stuffed Animal Sleep Over

Stuffed Animal Sleepover returns! Bring your favorite stuffed animal for a fun craft and bedtime story! Then, leave them for their overnight sleepover. When you pick them up on Thursday morning, you’ll get to hear all about what your stuffed animal friends got up to at the Library! This program is for children ages four and up. Registration is required. Parents can register their child by emailing Kathy at [email protected] with their name, their child’s name, and their phone number. Space is limited so sign up soon

Drop Off Tuesday, February 20, 3:30-4:30 pm 🏛

Kids’ Craft: Bracelet Making

Drop in between 1-2 pm to make bracelets with us. This craft is for children ages six and up, accompanied by an adult. Registration is not required, but be aware that supplies are limited. First come, first served.

Wednesday, February 21, 1-2 pm 🏛

Kids’ Craft: Pin Making

Come decorate your very own button pins to put on your jackets and backpacks. For children ages six and up, accompanied by an adult. Registration is not required but be aware that supplies are limited. First come, first served.

Thursday, February 22, 1-2 pm 🏛

Kids’ Craft: Paper Lanterns

Join us for an exciting crafting adventure at the Library! Our Paper Lantern Craft Workshop is specially designed for children aged five and up, accompanied by an adult. Registration is not required. First come, first served.

Friday, February 23, 1-2 pm 🏛

Outdoor Story Time

Join us for our popular Story Time for infants and toddlers outside on our front lawn. Story Time is designed to enhance early literacy skills and features diverse children’s books in which all children can see themselves represented… plus we have a lot of fun! Please bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit on. Children must be supervised by an adult at all times. Story Time will be held outdoors throughout the year, but will be cancelled on days when the temperature is below 40°, or if it is raining. Cancellations will be posted on our website at the top of our homepage. You may also call the Library when we open at 10 am to inquire.

Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10:30-11 am 🏛