Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

Pelham Examiner

First Party in the Park comes to Wolfs Lane courtesy of Rotary and its PMHS affiliate

The high school’s Interact Club and the Rotary Club of the Pelhams hosted their first Party in the Park at Wolfs Lane Park Sunday evening, adding a new event to Pelham’s community calendar.

The event included live music from Pelham-based bands the Mellow Fellows and 7th Avenue, while Pelicones and Lou’s Hot Dogs food trucks and local pizza shops trucks offered treats and eats.

All funds raised will support shipping educational books to Africa and Gift of Life International, which provides surgeries to children with congenital heart defects who can’t get treatment in their own countries.

“We worked a lot with the Rotary Club of Pelham, older Pelham folks who focus on community service,” said Jackie Pennetta, vice president of the Interact Club. “Interact Club is a smaller sector of the Rotary Club, and it’s a great way for high schoolers at Pelham to get involved in their community. With events such as this, it’s nice to see the community come together to raise money for such important causes. It’s been so rewarding to give back to a community that is so giving.”

Rotary Treasurer Donna Shirreffs said she is hopeful Party In the Park will continue, eventually becoming it a long-standing tradition in Pelham.

“I am excited about students of the Interact Club’s ability to help globally and locally, as they put this whole event together—the volunteers and the pizza donated by local restaurants,” said Shirreffs. “I love watching everyone, of all ages, come together for a common cause and enjoy Pelham.”

The Mellow Fellows accompanied the event with relaxing yet upbeat jazz tunes. 7th Avenue played nineties hits such as “Creep” by Radiohead and “Say It Ain’t So” by Weezer.

Samantha Bonanno, lead singer of 7th Avenue and a sophomore at Pelham Memorial High School, said, “The event organizers were very kind. They frequently asked us what we needed before the performance and spent an hour helping us set up. I love playing around Pelham, seeing the faces of my family and friends.”

William Russello, drummer for the band, said, “This was my first time playing outside. It’s cool to see new faces discover our band.”