Picture House camps to include doc project on NewRoc court that links young adults facing charges with services

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Picture House Regional Film Center. The Pelham Examiner publishes press releases in the form received as a service to the community.

June 2024 – Bronxville and Pelham, NYThe Picture House Regional Film Center announced today the Documentary Intensive Workshop for High School Students will showcase the Opportunity Youth Part initiative of the New Rochelle City Court. The camp will take place August 5-9 at The Studio in Bronxville. The workshop is part of an exciting line up of one-week camps this Summer at TPH’s Studio in Bronxville.  Over the course of three weeks, The Picture House offers one-week camps designed specifically for high school, middle school, and elementary school students.

“We are thrilled to collaborate with Judge Jared R. Rice and the New Rochelle City Court for this year’s documentary camp,” said Clayton Bushong, Executive Director, The Picture House. “This is a great way to both teach our students about an important organization in the Sound Shore while giving them the chance to learn hands on skills on how to uplift and tell stories that are so important to building a strong community. We hope to raise awareness of the important and impactful work that Opportunity Youth Part does for an underserved part of Westchester County.”

Opportunity Youth Part, New Rochelle City Court

The Opportunity Youth Part (OYP) initiative—launched in New Rochelle City Court in October 2020— links emerging adults facing misdemeanor or felony charges, ages 16 to 24, to local service providers who offer workforce development training and access to employment, academic assistance, behavioral health services, and mentors from the community. The Hon. Jared R. Rice presides over Opportunity Youth Part and oversees a weekly Thursday calendar that includes one hour of conferencing with service providers, attorneys and mentors, and a one-hour follow-up calendar with Opportunity Youth Part participants and their lawyers. The program takes a community-centric approach to adjudicating all matters and incorporates restorative justice and procedural fairness measures. Approximately 125 individuals have so far engaged with the program, which is the first Emerging Adult Justice initiative in the 9th Judicial District and a model for other communities. 

More Details on Summer Camp ‘24 at The Picture House

Documentary Intensive Camp for High School Students:

Dates: August 5th – 9th          11:00am – 4:00pm

High school students learn to make a documentary and give back to the community in our Documentary Intensive camp. Campers gain pre-production and behind the camera experience by working with a professional filmmaker to create a short film about a local nonprofit (partner organization to be announced). Students are eligible to apply class hours from this camp toward their community service requirements. The film will premiere at our Student Showcase—a special red-carpet event in the fall, where student filmmakers get to see their work on the big screen!

Partner Organization: Opportunity Youth Part, New Rochelle City Court

Green Screen Camp for Middle School Students

Dates: August 12th – 16th      9:00am – 2:00pm

Let your imagination run free using the magic of the green screen! In this week-long session, campers will learn how to use technology to help tell their story. This camp covers layering, 3D imaging, and more! Working with professional filmmakers in a small group that supports individual growth, campers will use their newfound technological skills to help them write a script and bring it to life. The film will premiere at our Student Showcase—a special red-carpet event in the fall, where young filmmakers get to see their work on the big screen.

Page to Screen for Grades K-2nd and 3rd – 5th Grades

Dates: August 19th – 23rd      9:00am – 2:00pm

In our Page to Screen camp, students will work separately and together to adapt a popular children’s book and turn it into a short film. Campers will write a script, scout locations around the theater, create artwork for background and props, and learn about camera work and directing. Then, campers will be cast in their roles and take turns working behind the camera to make their film. Camp is led by professional filmmakers who create an encouraging environment that supports individual growth.

The cost for each of the week-long camps is $400 TPH members / $500 nonmembers.  For further information or to register, go to https://thepicturehouse.org/summer-camp-2024/.