PMHS senior Jennifer Bell named high school All America Diver for third time

From left, Pelham Memorial High School women’s swimming and diving coach Chris Driwinga, Jennifer Bell wearing her Section 1 Diving Championship Gold Medal and PMHS Athletic Director Stephen Luciana.

Pelham, NY, June 13, 2019 – Pelham Memorial High School senior Jennifer Bell has been named a NISCA/Speedo High School All America Diver for the third consecutive year.  Today the National Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association awarded Bell the honor following her senior season diving for the PMHS Women’s Swimming and Diving Team coached by Chris Driwinga.

Each year NISCA and performance swimwear company Speedo USA honor the nation’s top 100 high school women divers and top 100 high school men divers.  To be eligible, women divers must achieve a minimum score of at least 375.00 points during an eleven-dive sanctioned interscholastic championship format meet.   In her senior year during such a meet, Jennifer scored 524.75 points to become the 2018 Section One gold medalist and champion for the fourth consecutive year.  The victory earned her a trip to the New York State Diving Championships where she finished second.  At the close of the season she was named the “2018 The Journal News / Lohud Westchester/Putnam Swimmer/Diver of the year.”

Additionally, Jennifer is a six-time AAU Diving and YMCA Diving National Champion who has competed on the ten-meter platform, the three-meter springboard, and the one-meter springboard events in the USA Diving National Championships seven times, the USA Diving Synchronized Diving National Championships three times, and in the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials Final Qualification Event.  She also is a USA Diving 2018 Junior World Trials Qualifier.  She has competed as a diver for Pelham Memorial High School since the seventh grade and has made it to the New York State Diving Championships six consecutive years, qualifying for the finals of those championships every year, a State record.  She likewise has been named to the Section One All-Section Swimming and Diving Team all six years, a Section One record.

Jennifer will dive for the University of Virginia Women’s Swimming and Diving Team beginning this fall.  She trains daily with High Dive Champions at the diving training facility at SUNY-Purchase College in Purchase, New York.  Her coaches include Michael Darland (a former University of Michigan diver) and Dick Kimball (five-time U.S. Olympic Diving Team coach and former head diving coach at the University of Michigan).

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by Blake Bell.