Pelham school district lays out plans for distance learning, breakfast and lunch distribution

Pelham Memorial High School

Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction and Personnel Dr. Steven Garcia laid out the district’s distance learning plan during the school closure in an email.

The plan is set to begin Wednesday and includes that the 3rd quarter/2nd trimester report cards will not be issued at this time.

For elementary students, learning activities have been made available through a Google document, broken down by day, grade and subject, and any questions should be directed to the student’s classroom teacher.

For middle and high school students, all of whom have chromebooks, assignments will be received through Google classroom. In addition, students will able to contact their teachers via email and through twice weekly virtual office hours that will last 45 minutes, for which instructions and a schedule will be provided soon.

Garcia said the district will work to ensure that all middle and high school students have chromebooks and a WiFi connection and to ensure students K-8 would have access to mobile devices and internet. “We are arranging for all these children to be provided a Chromebook and a solution for WiFi access. If you have needs in this area that have not been addressed, please contact your school principal.”

In addition to this,  Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Champ announced in a separate email that the Pelham schools would be providing breakfast and lunch to students who qualify for free and reduced-price meals Monday through Friday. These will be available at Hutchinson School and Pelham Memorial High School. Breakfast will be provided from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and students may pick up both breakfast and lunch at the same time. The Third Avenue entrance at Hutchinson School and the 18 Franklin Place entrance at PMHS will be used for these services. Dr. Champ urged people to maintain appropriate social distancing at all times.

Champ said any student who cannot pick up meals due to illness or other circumstances should contact Karla Grimaldi, dining services director, via email  at [email protected].